Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM500 v AMPEG SVT3pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnebass, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    I need some help.
    I have an SWR SM500 amp which I play through SWR 15" & 2 x 10" cabs which have had the speakers replaced with Fane's, which I am happy with.
    Whilst the SWR amp is pretty good I now have the opportunity to get an Ampeg SVT3pro for a good price and wondered if there would be any real benifit in going down this route. You know us bass players are never happy with our sound.
    Has anyone out there been down this route and can you offer any advice.
    I play rock with my band but also do a lot of dep's with blues bands.
    Cheers
    John

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Of all of the Ampeg heads I've ever played on, I think that the 3Pro has shown the most diversity in it's sound and the ability to put out an amazing tone.

Unfortunately, its major discrepancy that usually gets brought up is its apparent lack of power. 450Watts is plenty, but 450 Ampeg Watts isnt as loud as you'd might think.

However, in your case it could work out well. Blues would probably definately fit the bill for the 3Pro, and the fact that you have a 1x15 cab will be helpful to attaining good volume. A lot of people try to hold ground with the 3Pro with an assortment of 10's and end up getting disappointed :meh:.

But again.... if you boil it down to Tone, the 3Pro can give you a wide selection of sweet sounding bass.

3. If you can get the Ampeg for a good price do you have to get rid of the SWR (right away)?

I imagine you won't get as clean a sound with the Ampeg as you do with the SWR but not that that is a bad thing.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think anyone that owns SWR and is getting itchy feet for tone should think about changing the preamp tube first.

Those things are pretty tube sensitive. It made a very noticable difference (for the better) in the sound of my SM500 and Grand Prix.

It's certainly a cheaper place to start.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Great suggestion. You might wanna give that a try.

6. I have owned and gigged extensively with both the SM500 and the SVT3Pro, they are VERY different animals, in my opinion.
    I had an SM400S, the predecessor to the current SM500, then an SM500, and I sold it to buy an SVT3Pro, just like you are considering doing. After about 6-8 months gigging with the SVT3Pro I am now playing SWR again. I think that for a fat, warm bluesy tone you might be very happy with the Ampeg. For me the SWR "sound" was what I was happiest with, and so the Ampeg was not for me.
    The Ampeg was a surprisingly versatile head, I was impressed with the fact it was not a one trick pony, but it still has an unmistakeable sound, and for me the SWR tone was, and still is, what I prefer for the kind of playing I am doing right now.

7. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    I have heard a lot of problems with the svt pro-3. Even if you look on harmony central, or any other user forums you will find a lot of complaints. They seem very unreliable. I personally know one person that had one die on him during a show. Plus they have 5 tubes in them. That is what makes the great sound but also can get expensive to replace them. $50-70

8. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    :help: Thanks guys, has anyone tried the Fender 800 pro? I know its solid state but is it any good?
    :help:

9. tellis

tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
    :hyper: THIS AMP IS VERY VERY GOOD. HAS THE SAME FEATURES AS THE EDEN HEADS BUT AT A MUCH CHEAPER PRICE. YO WILL LOVE IT.SOUNDS JUST LIKE A EDEN...........