1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR SM500 vs. Ampeg SVT 3/4 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marwady, Oct 16, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Hello all,

I would just like some real world opinions from those of you who have experience with one or all of these heads.

Here is some background:

I am playing mostly classic rock, some R&B/Motown, and a mix of other styles when called for. Stage volume is moderate but not unreasonable so I don't need (nor want) crushing volume. I do want enough headroom so my tone remains clear at the upper volume levels on louder stuff.

I have been using a WM 4004 with a 2x10T and a 1x15T for about a year. Stage basses are a Victor Bailey Jazz and a Stingray 4.

I borrowed a Goliath 4x10 and used it in place of the 2 WM cabs and really liked it better, nice low end and a very musical mid punch. Headroom with the 4004 was marginal at louder volumes. I sold the head (the cabs are currently for sale on the 'bay and here on TB).

I found a nice Goliath III here from fred312 (great guy, by the way) and a SWR SM500 from pigpen02 (also great). The price pigpen gave me was very nice and I figured I could probably get most of my money out of it if I change my mind.

My reasoning is that the 500 will give me everything I got from the 4004 and more headroom (400w @ 8 ohms, 550w @ 4 ohms, bridged). Also, possibly a little warmer tone from the tube front end.

I went for an 8 ohm version of the Goliath so I could add another cab if needed and still be at 4 ohms.

As much as I have been happy with the SWR tone, I can't help but think that the Ampeg heads will give me a more authentic vintage sound on some of the more classic things we do.

The 4 pro looks like more power than I need but, headroom shoud be no problem. I have seen some posts on the 3 pro that have complained about the lack of power. It may be a moot point based on my requirements.

Let's hear what you all have to say!!

Thanks in advance.