SWR SM500 vs. Ampeg SVT 3/4 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marwady, Oct 16, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Hello all,

I would just like some real world opinions from those of you who have experience with one or all of these heads.

Here is some background:

I am playing mostly classic rock, some R&B/Motown, and a mix of other styles when called for. Stage volume is moderate but not unreasonable so I don't need (nor want) crushing volume. I do want enough headroom so my tone remains clear at the upper volume levels on louder stuff.

I have been using a WM 4004 with a 2x10T and a 1x15T for about a year. Stage basses are a Victor Bailey Jazz and a Stingray 4.

I borrowed a Goliath 4x10 and used it in place of the 2 WM cabs and really liked it better, nice low end and a very musical mid punch. Headroom with the 4004 was marginal at louder volumes. I sold the head (the cabs are currently for sale on the 'bay and here on TB).

I found a nice Goliath III here from fred312 (great guy, by the way) and a SWR SM500 from pigpen02 (also great). The price pigpen gave me was very nice and I figured I could probably get most of my money out of it if I change my mind.

My reasoning is that the 500 will give me everything I got from the 4004 and more headroom (400w @ 8 ohms, 550w @ 4 ohms, bridged). Also, possibly a little warmer tone from the tube front end.

I went for an 8 ohm version of the Goliath so I could add another cab if needed and still be at 4 ohms.

As much as I have been happy with the SWR tone, I can't help but think that the Ampeg heads will give me a more authentic vintage sound on some of the more classic things we do.

The 4 pro looks like more power than I need but, headroom shoud be no problem. I have seen some posts on the 3 pro that have complained about the lack of power. It may be a moot point based on my requirements.

Let's hear what you all have to say!!

Thanks in advance.