Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM500 vs Peavey Pro500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesonhooves, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Ok, well, I'm lookin for a new bass amp...
    in an ad in my local paper, they were offering a used SWR SM500 for about $700, and i'm also lookin at Peavey Pro500 for around $750, and basically, i wanna know if any of you have a good opinion about the two, and see if any of you can point out pros and cons about either of them.
    thanks
    james.

2. The Peavey is over priced.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    And the SWR isn't?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You'll probably get more usable power out of the SWR. I recently noticed that the wattages Peavey has been quoting in their ads are at 2 OHMS!. So, if you arent running two 4 ohm cabs with that pro 500, you arent getting 500 watts...

5. yeah, i saw that 2ohm business.... mainly, here's what i'm getting and what i already have...
    i've got a peavey tnt 115 at 4ohms, but i'm really trying to just upgrade the whole setup, so i'm seriously considering the avatar b210 and b115, which both come in either 8ohm or 4ohm, so i wouldn't really have to worry about the 2ohm problem... then again, not sure what would work best, putting them in series or parallel..
    just thinkin out loud now..

6. yeah, i saw that 2ohm business.... mainly, here's what i'm getting and what i already have...
    i've got a peavey tnt 115 at 4ohms, but i'm really trying to just upgrade the whole setup, so i'm seriously considering the avatar b210 and b115, which both come in either 8ohm or 4ohm, so i wouldn't really have to worry about the 2ohm problem... then again, not sure what would work best, putting them in series or parallel..
    just thinkin out loud now..

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't know, I never got a usable tone out of any SWR stuff but then again, I guess that goes to prove that I don't really care for the 'hi-fi' sound. :meh:

8. I heard Peavey is Toneless...I'd go for the SWR...

IMO...

:oops:

9. pardon the ignorance, but "hi-fi" tone? just trying to get an explanation cuz it'd def. help me...

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Toneless my ass! You obviously haven't played one.

Kim

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thank you Kim. :D ;)

12. seeing as how the guy selling the swr just went down on his price even more, i'm probably buying this set up saturday....
    so, unless anyone here can strongly convince me otherwise, i thank everyone for posting..
    peace out people...
    james.

13. It looks to me as though the SWR puts out full power at 4 ohms and the Peavey at 2 ohms. Since the SWR isn't rated at 2 ohms I can only assume that it will overheat at that load. As far as tone goes you are comparing 2 different philosophies of tone. Neither SWR nor Peavey subscribes to the "FLAT RESPONSE" theory of amplification. They both like to "VOICE" their stuff to make it sound like a Peavey or Swr. You need to play them both and decide which one suites you.