Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR sm900 Cabinet matching help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jchikhale, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently purchased an SM900 and have an 8ohm eden 410t.
    anybody out there had experience matching an swr goliath III 410 with an eden 410???

and beyond that? what would provide a more optimal sound? bridge to mono and run in series?
    or
    run them stereo with the crossover....???

havent bought the swr goliath yet..

2. Seeing they are both 410's i dont think there is much use in using a crossover, but ive never used that amp or either of those cabs

3. The SWR900 puts out about 650 watts into 8ohms bridged. It is not a particularly loud 650 watts... but that head into a GoliathIII sounds great if you are doing the funk thing... very crisp and punchy. I never particularly liked the sound of the SWR heads with the Eden XLT line... the voicing of the cabs IMO made the 900 sound a little 'nasally' to me. However, I never played one out of the T version of the Eden cabs. I would assume the 900 would sound great through the XST version of the Eden cabs, since they are more 'Goliathy' in sound IMO.

The SWR does not put out enough wattage to run in stereo into two 8ohm cabs... not loud at all.

Also, you will find that head runs very hot bridged into 8ohms... it literally gets too hot to touch running bridged into 4ohms (i.e., your two 8ohm 410's). The specs say you can do this, and other TBers said they've had no problem... it seems a little risky to me.

4. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    So- that means that if i run it stereo you think it will not be loud enough and if i run it bridged you think it will be too hot? then why do they even sell this amp?

5. Bridged into 8ohms works great... stereo into two 4ohm cabs works great.

However, stereo into two 8ohm cabs or bridged into 4ohms (which would be your options with the cab you have and the one you are thinking about buying) are not optimal IMO. However... do a search.... a number of TBers have bridged the 900 into 4ohms and had no trouble.

6. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    ok. so if i sell my 8ohm eden 410t and get 2 swr 4ohm golliath iii's, i'll be happy (and broke)?

i bridged the sm900 to mono and ran it into my 8ohm eden 410t and it gave me this strange static... what coulda caused that??

7. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I`ve used this amp for 9 years bridged i 4ohms, no problem. It`s getting hot, so what?
    The EBS 410 is a real sweet match with this amp, loud and punchy, great mids and bottom, and sweet highs. And the sound sits in the mix very good.
    The Ampeg HE808 is also great. And of course, two Goliath II/III.
    I find this amp to be pretty neutral, with good eq and enough headroom for most settings(not stadion rock-shows..)
    This amp is not as bad as some on this forum says it is

8. I just got an SM 900 yesterday (I purchase a lot of amps for test purposes) and I like it a lot better than all other SWR models. Bridged it can get pretty darn loud and provides some nice low end.

9. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I used one of these (SM-900) for quite a while and my experience was that it was as loud as anything else of similiar power rating. The trick was figuring out how to use the eq. because you can easily go from a great sound to a horrible on with a few knob turns. I would go with a Goliath SR or 2, 4 ohm Goliath 3 4 x 10 cabs if it were me. I bridged mine into 4 ohms for a long time and eventually the transformer shorted I'm guessing, from the heat. Mine was one of the older ones with the black face and ventilation in the top only.

10. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I've played a backline of an SM-900 with a Goliath Jr. III + a Son of a Bertha. It was bridged-mono, so I'm guessing they were 8-ohm cabinets.

It sounded great for rock. Nice rig. I think it is a bit spendy for what you get, though.

I'm sure a Goliath III would sound great as well.

11. I use a Goliath III and a Goliath II. Had an Eden XLT 2x10 but didn't like the sound compared to the Goliath II, so I got the III.

SM-900 needs to run either bridge in 4 ohms (2 x 8 ohm cabs) or run in stereo with 2 4ohm cabs. I find the power amp starts clipping soon if running in 8 ohms.

And yes it gets hot but I haven't had any trouble. The amp housing is aluminum and is designed to act as a heatsink so it's hot to the touch. Great hand warmer or egg cooker...

12. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cannon,
    so how should i wire it up if i get myself an 8ohm goliath iii and run it with my eden 410t? both are 8ohms so i'll bridge to mono and i want to sure them in parallel. do i need a special cable or do i run the speakon out from the sm900 into the goliath and then a 1/4" out to the eden??

13. Speakon amp to the goliath(speakon) then I would go from the Goliath's speakon out to banana of Eden. These cables can be bought or made up at your local music store. You could just go from 1/4 out of Goliath to the Eden. Not sure I believe the hype on Speakon cables, but whatever. Make sure to have switch on SM900 to bridge.

Maybe running both Eden and SWR cabs will bring out the best of both worlds!

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I run my SM900 into a Bergantino NV610 (4 ohms bridged). I don't have problems, though it does get hot. A friend of mine has the same amp and has been using it with an Acme B4 for years and swears by it.

I noticed the "nasal" sound when I ran it through a Berg HT112 for a while. I fixed it by changing out the preamp tube. YMMV.

If you're running two 4x10 cabs (which seems overkill but I've got a 6x10 so I can't really talk), do it bridged mono. You won't gain anything by running the crossover. It sounds like you should sell the Eden and get as much Schroeder gear as you can afford, though.

15. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    this eden has done me for so long (almost 8 years)- run with an sm400 bridged of course. it sounds great to me. everyone has their own taste/needs. i'm going with that one and i'm going to go check out a goliath iii this afternoon. what is so special about Schroeder cabinets?