Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR sm900 clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, Aug 8, 2003.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, I just got one, cause I needed something a litle louder than my gk 700rb. I use an EA vl210 and a Mesa diesel 210, which the Mesa may be on its way out. But, I got it so the pre amp don't clip (when it did, that bad sounding pop would happen), but now when I crank the volume half way on stereo mode, the light on the pwr amp clip lights up moderately. Does anyone know if I should make it so the light doesn't go off at all, or if a little light is ok? I think the light on all the time is real bad, but to get the light so it doesn't go off at all puts the sound at a really low volume. any ideas?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What impedance cab are you using on each side? An 8 ohm cab running off one side of the 900 is only getting around 220W and easily clippable. That said, and others here will argue fer sure, if your cab has a power rating of 600W+ you probably won't cause damage if the power amp is lightly clipping.

FWIW, play around with the EQ, make sure you're not doubling up on frequencies. For example, if you're cranking the bass knob avoid boosting too much in the first band of the eq.

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, would it be better to run both 8 ohm cabs on one side of the stereo? Thanks for the input, I'll check that out.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rather than do that, why not bridge the amp and run the speakers in "parallel" to give you 4 ohms of impedence -- so that you'll be getting the full 900 watts out of the amp, instead of the 400 you get running out of just one side? I bet THAT might solve your clipping problem! ;)

:)

5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Figured that was next. Need to get a banana into 2 1/4" jacks. I figured that would solve any problems!

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    From the SWR sm-900 manual (online at swrsound.com):

PREAMP CLIP LED
    The preamp clip LED will light whenever the preamp, tone section or output buffer reach clipping
    (run out of headroom). This function does NOT monitor the first tube stage of the Passive input (see
    “Passive Input” above for more info). In the event the clip indicator lights, turn down the Gain control.
    Since this circuit monitors all three tone sections (bass, treble, EQ 1 and EQ 2) independently, boosting
    any one of these controls can cause the LED to activate. (In the case of EQ 1 or EQ 2, even with the
    unselected EQ bank.) So, for instance, if you notice the preamp clip indicator lighting, but hear no
    distortion and are using EQ 1, switch to EQ 2 to see if it is the culprit (or vice-versa).
    Naturally, if you want to overdrive the preamp section for a distorted tone, ignore the preamp clip LED,
    but, be very cautious of the POWER AMP CLIP LED as any clipping at this power level can
    damage your speaker system.
    ------------------------------------

Here is the link to the PDF file. it also talks about how to bridge the amp... http://www.swrsound.com/products/ownersmanuals/SM900_OM.pdf