Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 73jbass, Jun 24, 2004.

1. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Anybody use one of these? I'm looking at possibly getting one,but I need some input from current and past users. Thanks.
  2. I picked one up from GC for like $800. I like it a lot. Sounds really nice, warm, and loud. I run it with an Ampeg SVT-II Pro as a split system. I recommend getting one...
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    nothing negative meant here but I have heard these have a problem with thermal shutdown occasionally?
  4. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I've never had problems with thermal shutdown but the internal fan is kind of loud. All things considered though this is a minor complaint about an otherwise very nice head.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just a guess, but I think the thermal shutdown might be a more common issue in some of the older models. I was using an older loaner while waiting on a new one (this was shortly before the Fender takeover, btw) and I noticed that the newer one didn't run as hot. Never had either shut down on me.

I really like my SM-900 and I like it even more after swapping out the preamp tube, as many folks have done. Mine has survived the abuse of being dropped nearly 6 feet to concrete inside a non-shock resistant rack box with some bent panels but no functional damage whatsoever.

There are a lot of good amps out there, and the SM-900 is one of them!

6. Whats up with the minimum impedance of most SWR's being 2.6 ohms? Thats a 4 and 8 ohm cab together right? That means you cant use 2 4 ohm cabs? Also what's Subwave?
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    SWR's mono block amps are 2.6,
    you are correct.
    Subwave is the SWR Term for an Octiver down.