Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR SM900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andyonbass, Sep 17, 2004.

1. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    HI
    I've got the opportunity to to get one of these at a bargain price, I'm a great fan of the SWR sound, particularly with the tonal caperbilities of this model, not to mention the power! . I'm currently using Ashdown mini cabs, the 4x8 rated 600w @8ohms and the 1x15, 300w@8ohms. I'm wondering whether they will be up to the job of running the head in bridged mode? (rated 900w @4ohms according to the SWR web site) If i'm going to need new cabs,then it wont be so much of a bargain. Its not that its gonna need to be pushed that hard in most of the venues,I play. any opinions anyone?

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You should have no problem running those at all. Go for it!!

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You should have no problem at all running those cabs. I had an SM-900 for a short period of time, and used it to power a 4 ohm 8x10 cabinet, and it had all the power it needed and then some.

FWIW, if you are concerned about whether or not the cabs will take it, I am running an SVT4Pro Ampeg (1200 watts) into an SVT410HLF cabinet. I have not had one bit of a problem with that setup.

4. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    Thanks guys, I'm reassured, I'd like to keep the cabs ,cos they sound OK and are easy to carry. (I knocked the frame out of the front door when I stumbled whilst carrying a peavey 410TX recently, but thats another story)

5. I should adhere to gandpa's advice: 'If your not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all.' However, in hopes of assisting in your decision, sometimes it helps in hearing some dissenting voices... - I can't believe; considering the rich history of SWR, that the SM900 is their flagship amplifier. I hope you're getting on hell of a good deal on it, because I think it tops my list of 'flops'. For its price tag...I could think of 15 or 20 options for rigs vs. the 900. I'm hard pressed to make any positive remark about it. Just run it through the paces before buying, and be sure its what you want.
    If you do pick it up, those Ashdowns will have no problem whatsoever. My impression was that the 900 wasn't pushing anywhere near 900 watts or even 500 for that matter.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

My only complaint with the 900 was that it sounded a bit sterile for what I was after. I ran it first through a Peavey 810 TVX cabinet, after that I tried it through a Goliath III. I used it in real world gig situations, not just in the store. One thing, though, is that I thought it had plenty of power (for what I was doing, YMMV). And I might not have given it enough of a chance, maybe with more tweaking I could've gotten what I was looking for out of it. But, why do that, when my Ampeg did that right out of the box, with little to no tweaking? ;) (needless to say, the SWR rig was returned for the current Ampeg setup I have now)

Good luck with it, try before you buy if you can, like was mentioned above.

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I used to hate the SWR SM400 and SM900 til I learned a little trick on my own. Run the master volume wide open all the time!! You won't belive the difference it makes in the way the amp performs. Try it!

8. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    wouldn't that be a bit too loud or am i missing something?

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    There's a volume control on the bass! I do my church gig running my SM400S wide open. I run the preamp gain about 3 o'clock. It's quiet, controllable, and sounds great! Just this past Sunday I backed off on the master just to see and it sounded weak and choked up. Opened it back up and it had a beautiful full tone and you realize the power is in there, it just needs to be let out of the bottle.
    :bassist:

10. andyonbass

andyonbass

Jan 1, 2003
    Doh! of course, silly me !!!! I'll give it a go when I try it out the amp. Thanks

11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I tried this on my sm 900, and your right, it does open it up quite a bit.