Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Son of B, colored or neutral ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, Jun 18, 2004.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I A/B a Mesa Boogie 115 to a SWR 115 and found the Mesa to be a much more deeper tone with the highs not as sharp but there. The SWR SOB, with tweeter shut off for equal comparison, was not as bottom heavy and the highs were more predominant and clear. I say this without suggesting either tone is necessarily better and setting off a product war thread. I've read people saying the SWR's are colored. Maybe the sound I hear from the SWR is actually colored to be that way but it seemed to me a more uncolored tone as compared to the Mesa. You think John Paul Jones would prefer a bass cab (he plays SWR) that is known for coloration to one degree ? I would think he of all people would like his basses to make the tonality not a manufacturers engineering department BUT who knows money talks !!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    "colored" is a matter of taste. if you like a heavier cab that some consider "colored" or not SO WHAT!!! its like an art critic saying "that picture has too much green?!?!" if the painter likes green use green!!!!

if you are in a recording studio and your sound is "colored" then thats totally different!

get what sounds good to YOU, not anyone else, although if the band like your tone that can help too.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i agree with mcrelly. i read on here somewhere recently someone was comparing two of their high end, "neutral" sounding cabs and talking about their sonic differences. i don't honestly belive there's such a thing as an uncolored speaker (or amp or preamp)- some are just less artificial sounding than others. i worked at a high end audio store for awhile (nice stuff if you've got the $$$) and everything had its own character to it, even the $16K speakers... some were more accurate over the whole spectrum than others, but every different component sounded different...

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd rather have a lighter, cheaper "colored" sounding cab that I LIKE!! than a heavier, more expensive less "colored" cab that I didn't like the tone of!

:D

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    These are all good points and input, I as well know what sound I like too, BUT. The info I'm trying to get from someone (I guess a past or present SWR son of bertha owner or someone familiar with them) is this.

"Is what I'm hearing from a SWR S.O.Bertha known in the music public as a particularly colored unit or is what you hear from them an example of neutral ?? "

It seems to me a particularly cleaner,maybe favoring high-mid sound. But maybe that is actually just what a clean uncolored cab sounds like. You tell me .

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I can't imagine any significant "coloration" coming from a 15" speaker, as "coloration" is largely a matter of mids and highs anyway, and they're not going to be present in any great degree in a 1x15" box with the tweeter switched off.

I have a "Black Beauty," which is essentially a SOB with a 350X head stuck in it. Even with the tweeter and the various amp gizmos on, the box sounds fine to me from a traditional tone standpoint, but I also think that bassists - particularly those who aren't fusion geeks or slappers working in the higher registers - worry far too much about tone minutia anyway.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Would you consider a tone-sucking muff-monster to be colored or neutral?

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    hey- you leave my ex-girlfriend out of this ;)