Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Son Of Bertha vs Workingman 15 vs Triad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 3, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    how big of a difference is there? i'd be running a Bass 350 and a Goliath Jr in addition.

i need volume, but i need tone first, and i don't want to pay a lot more for the triad or SOB when the difference is negligable.

thanks
    jason

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I own an SOB and I really like it-it's very quick and clear sounding, and it's pretty portable (fits in the backseat of my 2-door). A friend has the Triad and it sounds really smooth and even, but it's rather heavy and large and it's not appreciably louder than the SOB, although its 4 ohm impedance will pull more wattage out of yr amp than the 8 ohm SOB. I tried the WM-15 and didn't find it to be in the same class as the other two cabs; it's noticeably more rough and honky-sounding. Usually if you try to save a few bucks instead of going for the better stuff you end up regretting it in the long run.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    thanks. i just bought the triad though...i was totally blown away with the sound, and i'm in a band with 8 other people, so someone can help me carry it. :D

jason