Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR speaker replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Sep 20, 2003.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I recently purchased/traded for two goliath II Jr.s One sounds great but the other sounds weak and wimpy.:( I opened the backs and found that the weak and wimpy sounding one had Emminece Delta speakers in it while the one that sounds great had no name sticker on the speakers. Just a silver back with someone's initials (LP) written on them in magic marker. Also the neg/pos leads had screw in binding posts that look similar to the ones on my Bag End 15 speaker. So I am assuming that the silver backed speakers are the originals and not the weak and wimpy sounding delta's. Can any one tell me where I can get two replacement 10's for this cab and who makes them? I have also placed this question on SWR's message board. We'll see how that works. Despite the one weak and wimpy sounding cab the two cabs still sound great together. I would just like to get them both up to par.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard that SWR does uses emminence speakers. maybe on their WM-12, not sure which one. ask SWR or ask a certified SWR repair shop?

just read on the swr website that the redhead uses PAS speakers.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    actually I looked at there website and they apparently don't make a 10" PAS that is...

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, you may have gotten lucky and acquired one of the older cabs with the BagEnd speakers in it. SWR used to use BagEnds in the older cabs, then they switched to PAS, now it seems they're using Eminence. Maybe one of your cabs is newer than the other. Personally I would trash the Emmy's and get a couple of BagEnds to replace the wimpy speakers. You can find them on eBay for around 50 bucks apiece. Well worth every penny. The farther away you are, the better they sound, and they sound pretty darn good close up!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Very interesting. the two cabs sound very different from each other. You'd think they'd try to keep the cabs with the same model number (series II series III etc...)sounding similar. Guess I'll keep my eyes on ebay for wahile.

6. GregoryJ

GregoryJ

Mar 17, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    SWR still uses PAS 10" speakers in their cabs. The eminence ones you got are obviously replacements. Once I searched online for 10" PAS speakers but couldn't find any available for sale through an online dealer. I have seen them, on occasion, on eBay. Keep your eyes open, I am sure some will turn up.

Greg