Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Speakon Cable Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Mar 25, 2004.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I have a SWR SM-900 amp head, but I don't have any bucks to go for a Goliath III, so now I'm using my friend's Hartke cab, as you guys may know, Hartke cab don't feature a speakon input, only got a 1/4 input, since I want to use all the power from my SM-900, so I must connect it in mono bridge mode 800W, that speakon output, so my question is that can I use a speakon>1/4 cable to connect them?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sure, most larger music stores carry cables with a speakon on one end, and a 1/4" on the other. If they don't have one in stock, just get a quality cable with two 1/4" ends, then cut one end off and install a speakon on that end, they're pretty easy to do with a simple small screwdriver.

Personally, I'd consider just adding a female speakon connector to your speaker cab, they're only a couple of dollars, and fairly easy to install as well.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    There is a difference between single channel speakon and
    Bridged Speakon. Comparsion

I believe SWR has a similar thing going on,
    therefore a 'regular' adapter may not do the trick.

The SM-900 has to have a special Speakon cable made especially for SWR in order to run bridged.
    Check with SWR.

...err, I mean Fender.

4. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Thanks Eric Moesle & Finger Blister, for the speakon to 1/4, if I really need that cable, I must choose bridge mode. right? I think I have to find one at my local electronic dealer. :rolleyes:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just get a four conductor speakon end, and make sure to wire it according to your SWR manual. All of the cables are the same, its just how the cable is wired inside the speakonconnector that varies.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I use my SM500 in this mode full time.

Yes a regular Speakon to 1/4" cable works. SWR saw fit to use a separate speakon jack for bridged output and it is wired just like a normal Speakon where -1/+1 are wired to Sleeve/Tip on a 1/4" plug. Pretty nice not to have to carry a second cable wired for bridged use.

The manual is kinda confuing, even the updated pdf manula on the website isn't totally clear, but I emailed SWR and they confirmed my description above.

Pete

7. For both my SM 500 and SM 900 I used a speakon to 1/4 inch adapter that you can buy at most music shops for about $10. You just plug it in to the back of your head. Then any old 1/4 speaker cable will work, which is nice if you accidently leave your cable at home or it dies on the gig. I always ran them bridged this way with no problems. :)