SWR Stack vs Eden Stack - Opinions wanted!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Okay... I've looked everywhere and played everything, and I'm down to 2 final choices, an Eden stack, or an SWR stack. I figured if I'm gonna spend a bit of money, I may as well buy something that will last me, and it's definitely between these 2, nothing else.

The Eden stack will consist of the WT400 head (discontinued), the D210XLT, and the D115XLT. The webiste says the frequency response would be 46Hz but surely it would go a little lower.

The SWR stack will consist of the 350x head, and the Henry the 8x8 cab. Now the frequency response on this beast is 35Hz and I reckon that's just about right. This cab has some serious low-end.

I've played through both stacks and really preferred them over anything else I played, especially Ampeg, they were really dissapointing. I really liked them both, so now I would like to see some peoples opinions on the 2 stacks and which would be more worthwile/reliable in the long run. I'm gonna own this setup for a while.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say go eden.

NO problem cutting thru a dense mix there. the only SWR stuff i've liked are the workingman's series.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Put me in with Joker on these choices. I've just never been a fan of the latter day SWR gear.

I wasn't aware that Eden dumped the WT400. That is a nice amp.
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Personally I'm definitely not a fan of SWR stuff, but neither does Eden it for me, but that isn't the point off course. Eden does cut through a lot better in the mix, sounds better (again it 's subjectively talking) than SWR. I think you'd better go with the Eden, it's more BASS in the sound than the SWR clinical high-end sound...

It's perhaps worth mentioning that the bass-sounds on the North Sea Jazz Festival 2004 were way better than in 2003 and 2002. And I've seen quite some artists over there! It instantly came to my mind last year... like 'Wow... what happened to the bass??'. Much more powerfull, groovy and all what a decent bass-sound needs. In 2004 the new sponsor for backlines came up.. it was Eden...

A small riddle... which was brand was the backline sponsor in 2002 and 2003? Exactly.... ;)

Conclusion: DON'T SWR YOURSELF. ;)
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1 The 350x would leave you dissapointed. The workingmans stuff is great for the price (the 12 particularly).

IMO SWR only makes two cabs to consider one is the 8x8 and the other is the Golliath 410. Only two cabs with a chance.

If possible, I think a little more power might help push both the eden cabs. Maybe a WT550?? The 210xlt is one of the best 210s around with a lot of punch and volume

Go Eden all the way!

Personally I sold my eden 210xlt because it was just as bulky as a 410. And just started using my 410xlt. Usually not much difference in price if buying used... something to consider :bassist:
  6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've had an Eden WT-300, SWR SM-400S, as well as Eden 210T+115T and SWR Goliath II 410.

The Eden head seemed underpowered and couldn't really run the Goliath II (8 ohm) cab to much volume...I thought it was a bit too dark sounding to cut through in some cases. That one's been sold.

The SWR head is really versatile...400 watts bridged at 8 ohms and a more traditional EQ. It can power the Goliath II nicely.

However, I've moved the Goliath II to the rehearsal studio...I found at gigs that it was often real bassy up close but didn't project that bottom.

The Eden 210+115 provide both solid bottom and good projection and clarity at a gig.

Bottom line? I'm liking SWR amp w/Eden cabs.
  7. Sounds like it's gonna be Eden for me. I was looking into the WT550, but I can get the WT400 for much cheaper cos it's discontinued, plus I don't really need the ability to run 620 watts at 2 ohms. 400 will do me fine.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Just another thought,... it's always nice to have to cabs instead of one. If it were a small gig you could bring in the Eden 2x10 instead of lugging in the SWR 8x8.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've got the Eden WT400 running through 4 10's.

It is a great amp head. Great tone. I use it no matter where I play or what cab I might have to play through (I've been playing with two bands lately and sometimes I'm running it through other's existing cabs).

They are built like a tank. I got mine used and it's been a real workhorse for me. I carry it with me in an aluminum tool briefcase. It only weighs 13 pounds.

Eden is great stuff. The WT400 is plenty loud for most situations.
  10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm running an Eden WT300, 210XLT and 115XLT and the results/tone are incredible. I have enough power in a 2 guit**r band, especially with PA support.

I ran the same head with a Goliath III 410 and the 115 XLT and never cared for the tone. The Goliath does sound good with my Mesa 400+ though.
  11. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Wow, something I can comment on intelligently!

I've used the D210XLT and the D410T with a WT800. Personally, I never really cared for the tone. Something was just "missing" for me soundwise, and I found that even the WT800 wasn't as loud as I hoped it would be. For example, I played the same outdoor festival BTB two years running with my Eden cabs (D410T and D118XLT) and a WT800. The first year wasn't loud enough. Next year, I'd switched to a Kern/QSC head with same cabs. Plenty loud!

Currently, I'm using an SWR Bass 350 (not the x). I love the sound of this head! Probably my favorite of all "modern" heads I've owned. I like it even more than the SM400S I had years ago. Great sound, light weight, and my older version runs 450W @2 ohms.

Love the Henry too! One of my favorite cabinets, sound-wise. Not too boomy, certainly not thin, but in your face and super-punchy. I sold mine because I decided to switch to Eden cabs (mistake) and move up in power to the WT800 (mistake). What I found was that it developed it's sound very quickly, then kept that sound throughout the room. It didn't sound "small" on stage and then "bloom" on the dance floor, IOW. Wish I still had it.

YMMV, but in retrospect I loved my SWR gear much more than the Eden stuff.

12. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Eden has a sound that I can tell at a distance every time. In fact at show a guy said my SWR rig sounded like an Eden. My top cab had oem Eden speakers in it. I think that you can get any sound you want out of SWR. Often the tweeter is cranked which give it an unnatural high end. Eden to me has a built in mid bass coloration. The previous poster is quite correct. The 350x is not great. A used SM-400 is a great choice and better yet a used Bass 750. I bought two when they were blowing them out at the introduction of the 750x. The 750 has headroom for days and the reknowned preamp of the Redhead. I've played SWRs for more than 10 years and they sound great run flat. I agree also on speaker choice. Just get one Goliath II or III and then another if you need it. The Henry 8x8 is also great and has punch and low end but power it with something with power.
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It depends a lot on the sound your looking for. The SWR is the ultimate in Hi-fi, great for modern slap, metal guy's seem to love em too. The Edens have a warmer more tube like sound. I personally like the Edens better, super reliable, and in a blues, R & B , Gospel or Classic rock type thing I think they fit better. I also think it's easier for there sound to "pop out" in the mix. The other advantage of the Eden is the 400 and the 210xlt will be a great stand along small room gigging set-up. Plus there is a huge difference between the Edens at 4 and 8 ohms the two cabs together will have a ton of power!
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's the story of David and Goliath. Go with the winner.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like the SWR Henry cab a lot, but the SWR heads dont sound good to my ears. The Eden head is much better, but Eden cabs seem to lack something to my ears. Just choose which one you like better I suppose.
  16. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    In my experience, SWR amps are very underpowered considering their ratings. You'd probably need a 550x to be even close to as loud as an Eden WT-400. I also agree that the SWR x series amps aren't that great. I much preferred the older line. I had an older chrome face 350 and loved the tone, but my 150W Peavey amp was just as loud, which is a bummer. I also had an SWR Mo'Bass, which was no where near as loud as my Genz Benz GBE600. I would steer away from the 350x and find an older chrome Bass 750, SM-400, or SM-500. I'd go with Eden though, because their amps hold value better than SWRs do, and they're considerably louder. The 210XLT/115XLT would be a great combination as well.

Just my 2 cents.
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Eden amp, SWR cab IMO. The henry is awesome, the only problem you might find if you used an eden is if you wanted another cab... I love SWR cabs, so tight and punchy, i'm not a fan of their amps though. I'm looking at getting a 4x12 or 2x15 and putting a henry on top.
  18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The earlier Garage day SWR gear is some of the finest available. much of it at a bargian price thank to the later gear.

Getting a pre Fender Goliath Sr is a treat. Or an early super RedHead. Mostly the used better speaker from PAS. I sold my Goliath sr and regret it. I did get a Schorder 610 but while it's not bad not the same cab. But hey it's NEO and weighs light,

The same with Eden. I am amazed by my WTX 264 but I don't think it will last twenty years. But I can carry an amp and speaker with one arm.

There's a cab of ledgend, the Goliath II for sale by me.

Interested tell me.
  19. ive owned both eden and swr and i can say id prefer swr. To me i can get any sound i want from the swr i have. I also have no trouble being heard in a band mix. I use the workingpro 700 and a avatar neo 410, which is basically a swr go light but cheaper. To me i can get any sound i want and the tone is much nicer on the swr in a band mix than any other amps ive had, ive tried gk, ampeg, eden, genz benz, and some others. SWR was the first amp that i heard and thought, now thats how i want my bass to sound.
  20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Holy Zombie Threads, Batman!

2005? Wow, I was living in the Bay area, and writing chamber music. Seems so long ago and far away...wait, it was! :D