Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Stereo 800/Sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rjl1160, Jan 17, 2005.

1. rjl1160

rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    I don't have instructions for either and need to know hook these two up - help!

Thanks, RJ

2. rjl1160

rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    Well, so far I can get good sound out of one of my cabinets plugging into 1 of the 1/4" outputs on back of the Sansamp, there are no other 1/4" outputs in back of the Sansamp? - sorry guys, I am not much of an electrician - help please!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the swr should have 2 1/4 inputs. if the sans amp preamp only has one 1/4 output you'll have to use a y cord to connect it to both channels of the swr. then of course you'll need to run speaker cables from the speaker outs of the swr to your cabs :D

4. rjl1160

rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    Cool, thanks! :bassist:

5. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Fellow Stereo 800 owner here--

Congrats on owning one of the best power amps for ever made for bass.

You don't need a "Y" cable for most applications with this amp. Unless you're running two 4-ohm cabinets (I'm guessing you're not), you're going to want to run the amp in mono-bridged mode. This unleashes the full power of this amp (which is enough to move continents and loosen bowels). However, you will need to use a banana-type speaker jack, and it plugs into the two top holes of the four binding posts on the back of the amp. I use a converter cable that has a banana jack on one end and a standard 1/4" speaker jack on the other. You engage mono-bridge mode on the amp by pressing in the little red button on the back. When the button is pressed in, it's in bridged mode. Press it in again, and it'll stick out more, meaning that it's in "stereo mode", which you likely don't want.

Anywho, run a 1/4" patch cord out of the rear output of the RBI into the left channel quarter-inch input on the back of the SWR (should be towards the right side as your facing the back).

Does this help?

Here's the type of cable you'd need to run it bridged. If you're running in stereo, you just need standard 1/4" speaker cables.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/331641/

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bridge mono is good advice

fortunately the 800 can handle 2 ohms per side/4 ohms bridged. As long as you're bridging it into a 4 ohm load or higher you'll be ok. So that means you can bridge it into one 8 ohm cab, or one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs.

you can't bridge it into two 4 ohm cabs, a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab, three 8 ohm cabs, etc. All of these would result in a net impedance of less than 4 ohms (which would make each side of the bridged amp run at less than 2 ohms). this would make the 800 go bye-bye.

*FYI - to run bridged into two 8 ohm cabs you can "daisy chain" them together by plugging cab # 1 into the amp as indicated in the previous post, and running a second cord from another one of cab # 1's input jacks to cab # 2. OR, you can use two of the cords indicated in the previous post stacked together (the bannana jacks let you plug another one right in back of the jack that's plugged in the amp), and run the two cords to the 2 cabs.

7. rjl1160

rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    Yes guys, I do have two 4 ohm cabinets, I started with a SM-400 and a Traid(4 ohm) and recently replaced the SM-400 with the Stereo 800 and got a Goliath Jr.(4 ohm) to add to it and run in stereo mode, so I do need the "Y" cable to run all this through the Sansamp RBI right? :confused:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup
    that rig should sound killer. you're not going to get a huge difference in volume as you're moving from about 440 watts to about 700 watts, but the rbi voicing may help a bit.
    i'm surprised that the rbi only has one line out, most preamps these days have two as they know people are going to be using them with stereo power amps. anyhow, y cords are pretty common in larger stores like gc. you'll find them somewhere near pro audio. my alembic had only one full range out so i had to use one. the one i got was the better one of two available from hosa (i think) it has one male to two female so i had to use it with two short patch cords. worked great. in fact, sometimes i use that setup with my sans amp bass di as a preamp into my stewart 2.1. the bddi doesnt put out the same level of output that the rbi or other rack preamps do, so i have to goose the poweramp input gains, but it sounds good anyway.

9. rjl1160

rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks again, yep - does sound killer :bassist:

10. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Again, you won't need a Y cable. The 800 has slave outputs from each channel. Run the signal from the RBI into one channel, and get a short patch cord to run from the slave output of that channel into the other channel. You could use a Y if you wanted to, but there's no real need.