Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Strawberry Blonde

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cogno, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    One of the bands I play in is a Bluegrass-Rock band ( Bluegrass Instruments - Rock Songs). I play a Tacoma Acoustic Bass Through a Fender Bassman 60. Does anybody have any experience with the SWR Strawberry Blonde? Would it have an advantage over the Fender?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Strawberry Blonde is basically the same amp as the Workingmans 10 with some features added for acoustic guitar use. I'd check out the WM first.

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    This is from the SWR web site "The Strawberry Blonde compliments all types of acoustic instruments including violins, cellos, acoustic bass, mandolins and guitars. " It clearly say acoustic bass. Has anyone ever tried it for this?

4. I would trust SWR's website on this...and I know the larger California Blonde easily handles bass.

A dedicated acoustic instrument amplifier will sound better than an amp classically constructed for electric bass. It will bring out more of the subtlety of the acoustic instrument. Which will then get lost in the mix of course, but hey, who cares....:D

The Fender Acoustasonic will NOT handle bass. Of any sort. I have tried.....

Acoustic instruments don't amplify well through small amps designed for electromagnetic pickups. My Rob Allen on piezo sounds weak and unfocused through a Fender 100, and only begins to get some character with a 350w+ amp. I doubt it would work with a Bassman 60. On the other hand, it sounds fine with electromagnetic pickups through a BXR 25.....

I just go through the PA.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I've used a California Blonde while in high school (jazz band - though I wasn't our band's bass player at the time) and had no complaints. It had really good sound - very warm; not at all like a lot of SWR's other stuff (not very hi-fi sounding in other words, which is good in my opinion). Great bass and treble with a nice, rounded midrange. Plenty of power for our jazz gig (it was run around 1/2 to a little over on the master volume and that gain with no radical EQ adjustments). Haven't ever played the Strawberry Blonde, but if you've got the money, then I'd spring for the California for it's extra wattage and features.