Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Studio 220 + Stewart Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Mar 3, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    okay...i just bought an swr studio 220 (i love the tone) and i need to get a rack for it. ii'm thinking that i'll get a 3 space rack so it has room to cool. later on i want to get a stewart world 1.2 power amp and use the swr as a pre. would i have cooling problems with those 2 pieces in a 3 space rack?

thanks!!!

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Probably not, if you have the front and back open when you use it.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    How do you compare the SWR Studio 220 w/ the mid-to-late 90's SWR stuff? I have always loved SWR but to me the best sounding amps and pre's they had came from the SWR SM400 and the original Grand Prix preamp. I'd be interested in trying that type setup so I could use the head's poweramp for small gigs and then the full poweramp for larger gigs. Let me know if you can compare the SWR Studio 220 to say the SWR Baby Blue or SWR 350/550/750...Thanks!

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    to my ears the 220 sounds just like the sm400, there's just less power. it should be the perfect preamp, because it has way more eq and connection options than most preamps...plus you have a backup power amp section built in.

the best thing is you can find them used for around $200, which is cheaper than you can find most preamps anyways...

check this link, they have one for $199...

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=0491112

5. You won't have a cooling problem with the Stewart as long as you keep 1/2 space open between the amp and you studio.
    Otherwise it will definitely shut down.

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I own both a 220 and a new 350X. No comparison in tone. Hands down the 220 is the one. My 220 is no longer roadworthy and sits as a preamp in my basement studio ( with a 40 year old Telefunken 12ax7). My 350x sits in my basement in a box as a spare.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IME, all of the original SWR stuff from 1987-the mid 90's sounds the same. obviously the 220 and 400 have identical preamp sections. I have an electric blue, and A/B'd all of the stuff back in the day. the EB, 220, 400, 900, 350 (the original one), grand prix, and the redhead had very very little tonal differences between them, and i dont think you could tell them apart if you were blindfolded.