Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Studio 220 vs. Ashdown Mag 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Feb 26, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    okay...i need a new head and i have around $300 to spend. the studio 220 has been going used for around $200-250, and the ashdown is 300. i love the tone of old swr heads, but i don't know if the 220 will be enough power. (i have a 700 watt custom made 4x8 cab.) i've never played through the ashdown, but i've read some good reviews on it. i'm also a little worried about buying an amp with 10 years of use on it.

any suggestions? or if you can recommend another head in that prce range...

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    doubling power will equal a 2dB increase in volume.

do you prefer the SWR hifi tone or the greasier Ashdown tone should be your question :bassist:

Your best bet would be to try to play your bass and cabinet with each as IMO gear reacts differently to different gear

3. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i prefer the swr tone...but i just have reservations about buying an amp that is 10 years old...

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lots of guys covet older gear. If it was treated well, no reason it should give you a problem.... but I guess it's a concern. I've had luck buying used throught the years, but it is always a risk

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have two SWR 220s and I love them. One is old and beat to s***, but it still sounds and works great. I carry the other as my solid state backup for my tubes rigs. Aside from dirty pots, the other is almost brand new. The SWRs have proven themselves to be durable and tasty to the ear. I am am skeptical of the Ashdown having the same qualities. If the 220 is not powerful enough, get a small power amp and run it as a pre. As a pre unit, the 220 is a gem!

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I love the Studio 220 too. If you like that sound, you can always start with one of those, and then add an external power amp at some later point. The Studio 220 is very amenable to that kind of stuff, it has all the right connectors. I ended up using mine as a "preamp only" for quite a while, feeding into two external power amps (bi-amped, using the internal crossover). That's a nice little unit. :)

7. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thanks for the help guys. i'm gonna go ahead and get the swr...at the worst if it isn't enough power i'll have a great preamp for around $200 bucks...