SWR Super Red Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh_s08, Jul 20, 2002.

1. I can get one for $999.99 at a local music store. it is brand spanking new. They have it listed @ $1999.00, so this is a grand off. Is this a great deal and would i be a moron not to get it. This would be a huge up-grade for me and would probably be my last amp...
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good combo amp. $1999 is list and you'll never pay list. Musician's Friend has them for $1399 so, yeah, a grand is a good price, especially if it's new.

Whether or not you should get it would depend on the style of music you play, your bass and what type of sound you're looking for, not to mention the rooms you intend to use it in. It's 350 watts into its 4ohm internal 10's. Not everyone likes the SWR sound. It's clean and somewhat peaky on top. If you're looking for an old school sound or a rock grind tone, forget it. OTOH, if you want that clarity and use active basses, it may be just the ticket.
  3. i use a fender 5 string jazz. i really liked it with the MM sting ray and fender p bass i played it with.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    A grand is a great deal for a new super redhead. Whether or not it will be your last amp is questionable. When I bought my Carvin RC210 I thought it would be the end of my amp buying days. Boy was I wrong. Then again I have seen people play in the same size rooms I play in with just a super redhead and they sounded fine.
  5. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Go for it, that's a great amp!
  6. $999? ....make sure there isn't something wrong with it. ask them why it's priced that low.
  7. they are having a huge sale...everything 20-70% off.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you get that Redhead, you'll never go back to sheep. If you're playing a Yorkville 50 right now, you will achieve Nirvana (not the sucky band) the first time your E string is amplified by the Redhead.

A thousand bucks is an excellent price and, if you don't buy it, most folks here will think you're a little "off."