1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Super Redhead and DBX compressor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2string1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Just picked up a 1998 Super Redhead and when I hooked up my DBX 160A compressor to the effects loop I plug the cables in reverse. The compressor still worked.Please tell me why.

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Because your ears were hooked up in reverse at the factory?

3. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    Your a lot of help. Just love it when I am new on a forum and I have to get the wise guy.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Okay Mr. New on the forum where's the levity?
    Life is too short for bad tone or not being able to laugh.
    Is your situation life and death?
    You have a first world problem.
    So lighten up a bit and enjoy the ride.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 lighten up, and welcome to TB. Please explain exactly what you mean by hooking it up backwards.

6. gnarkill

gnarkill

Apr 23, 2011
    Ottumwa, Ia
    I dont have an exact answer, but... I have done the same in PA situations. Example: Effects units running through an auxilary loop or something plugged into a channel insert on a mixer. Sometimes I've still gotten a signal. Not necessarily processed but still there. Depends on the unit I guess as to whether or not it can, or is designed to handle a reversed signal.

7. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    I have a send and receive on the Redhead "effects loop" and a input and output on the DBX. I ran a patch cord from the output of the DBX to the send of the Redhead and from the input of the DBX to the receive on the Redhead. I still had a signal and seem to work OK.

8. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Where was the blend control?

9. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Pretty sure it's a parallel loop, so you were just getting the regular signal from the preamp to the amp (internally). If you set the blend all the way "wet" then you wouldn't hear anything.

10. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    ^ this

11. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    OK,I have it wired correctly. This wet and dry is confusing me. Could someone explain. I think the more wet is more effect correct?

12. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Yes

13. It worked because audio is AC. It goes back and forth no matter which way you hook it up.

14. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    OK... dmusic148 that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks

15. 2string1

2string1

Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not to familiar with the SWR Redhead. Is it normal to made a pop sound when you turn it on? Gain is off.

16. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    Yes perfectly normal. Most swr amps I've had do not have a soft start.

17. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    errrr... :eyebrow:

I'm calling horse$#!+ on this one.

18. You have a better explanation?
    AC signals go back and forth. Do you deny this?
    Hook up a speaker backwards. Does it work? How about a pickup?
    I don't claim the compressor actually functioned, only that the signal can get through.
    Must have had bypass switch depressed.

19. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    You don't really understand the "back and forth" part. It's not that it goes in 2 directions, it's that it varies between 2 polarities (ie positive and negative). It's not like hooking up a speaker backwards. It's more like trying to plug a bass into the output of a pedal, and the input of the pedal into the amp. Try that, it won't work when the pedal is on.

Like I said, the reason it "works" is because the loop is parallel, so you get the dry direct signal with the (no) wet signal.

Now, due to flukes in engineering, some pedals do strange things if you hook them up backwards. For instance some of the crazy sound effects in Echoes are from Gilmour having his wah hooked up backwards and rocking the pedal back and forth. But most of the time you'll just get nothing.