Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Super Redhead, Eden DC-210XLT Metro, other 2x10 combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nspark, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I'll be coming in to some money in about a month and I'm currently looking to get a professional-quality amp (most likely a combo). I don't gig right now, but I'd like to and having a good amp will actually let me play for once. Right now, I have no amp, just a Cafe Walter HA-1.

I'm looking in the market of $1000 to $1500. Not the biggest window, but I'd prefer to go used, get a professional-quality combo for $1000, and save myself a few hundred bucks in the process, if possible.

After reading a number of comments online, I'm most tempted by the SWR Super Redhead and the Eden DC-210XLT Metro combos.

I am more than willing to take comments on other combos (e.g., Fender 400PRO, SWR Workingman's 210C, GK 700RB/210 and 1001RB/210 combos, etc.).

I'm a bit leery about the Fender 400PRO and SWR Workingman's 210C as I'd put them on the same (or similar level) and have had inconsistent opinions about the Workingman's line. I liked the WM 12 combo, but not the 10 or the 15. Also, I've played through the GK 700RB/210 and liked it.

In regards to what I play, as I said, I'm not in a band or anything, but I like to play fretted, fretless, and hopefully/eventually upright jazz. The fretted includes everything from rock, to jazz, to slap.

So, I'm really interested in everyone's opinion about the Super Redheads and the DC-210XLT Metros (and any other suggestions you may have).

-Nick Park

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i had an eden metro for years and i loved it...it sounds great, it's powerful, it's pretty portable, though heavy, and it's versatile...it has two footswitchable channels, one with para mids...and if you ever want to get a bigger sound, just throw a d115xlt underneath it, and you're good to go...awesome amp...you also might really want to consider the peavey bam 210 combo...if you go to the peavey website....nevermind, i'll post a link...it's got stu hamm getting his jam on with a bam 210...good stuff

stu hamm with the bam

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Can't say enough about the Bassmaster XS400T (Yorkville Sound), use it with both my fretted and my fretless, beautiful sounds, just beautiful. Check the review section, I threw one up there a few weeks ago.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i have a gk 1001rb/210 (which i wouldn't have considered, but i got a fantastic deal on it) and it's really great. it's the older mark 1, so i would imagine the newer one is even better, but it's plenty loud, very tonally flexable, sounds great, and easy to move with the built in dolly (it's still heavy to lift though). it also does the tilt back thing so you can hear yourself better. gk gets a bad rep, but i really was amazed at how good this combo sounds and how solid 2 10's sound. and don't be intimidated by the front panel layout- once you understand it, it's easy to dial in a sweet tone, and the manual is very well written (and easily downloadable from their website). all that being said though, i usually run mine pretty close to flat ;) but i'd recommend it. i've been very impressed by the eden metro the few times i've tried it, and i like my swr stuff as well, so i don't think you can pick a wrong one from this bunch. i guess this really wasn't all that helpful now, was it? :D

5. Well, it's good to hear good things about all the bass amps. When it comes down to it, I'll be making a trip to Bass Central in about a month and A/B'ing all these amps to find which one I like best. It would be if I head horrible things about an amp or reliability problems that would really turn me off. All in all, I think I'm leaning more towards the Super Redhead, as in my reading I've heard it has a more "scooped" sound, while the Eden has a boosted mid section. However, I did really like my friend's GK 700RB/210 combo. We'll see. I can't wait, though. If only I got paid sooner!

-Nick Park

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will second the Peavey BAM recommendation. I owned an Eden Metro for almost a year. I was very happy with it until I played a BAM210. The BAM was louder, handled the low B better(if you play 5 or 6) and had a better stock tone(to my ears) than the Eden. A few months later, my Eden was stolen. As soon as I got the insurance money, I ordered a BAM210. Yeah, I would like my Eden Metro back. It would make a nice backup for my BAM.

I didn't buy the BAM for the modeling or effects. But now I have grown to love the modeling. It's great to have the sound of the BAM, a Super Redhead, a GK/Hartke cab(great for fretless!) and an SVT sound, all in one box.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a Metro...........I want a BAM.

-Mike

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont forger to take me!

You should also try out my Nemesis bass combo by Eden.

Its their "Workingman's" series but great quality.

Lets talk and set something up so you can give it a test drive.

Peace
    Nick

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I own an SWR Redhead, and it is by far the best sounding combo I have come across. I play Jazz, Blues/R&B, and Funk(both Electric and Upright), and I haven't found a combo that sounds as clear as the Redhead. The other combos mentioned are really good as well. The Eden Metro is right up there, but I still feel the SWR has the edge if you are looking for a more hi-fi sound IMO.