1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Super Redhead help please...you probably already know what I'm going to ask :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthem Midnight, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Anthem Midnight

Anthem Midnight

Apr 20, 2009
    Hello everyone.

Yep. New poster on this forum. Love how helpful everyone is. Thanks for reading this.

So i have the SWR classic setup - Super Redhead & a big bertha underneath. BUT YOU GUESSED IT! I popped one of the PAS 10s up top, which now farts and buzzes from a ripped cone.

SWR had nothing for me. There were a slew of threads on Eminence Delta 10s vs. Kappa 10s etc. My question is, has anybody had a 100% positive experience installing new 10" drivers in their redhead, and if so, which 10s???

I'm a metal bassist and love the tone but need more SPL handling out of my 10s. Any help would be amazing!

Thanks guys!

Mike

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Why not just recone? Those speakers are soooo nice with that combo...used to have one.

EDIT: Ah, well, replacing drivers to get "more volume" is always the trick innit?

3. Anthem Midnight

Anthem Midnight

Apr 20, 2009
    Reconing is Definitely an option, but if anybody has the drop on better 10s I can push harder I would LOVE to hear.

Thanks for posting dude!

4. I would totally stick with a recone but that's just my opinion..

5. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I use to have Orginal Redhead that I had put a set of Eminence Basslite CH2010 which worked well for The PAS sounded great put they don't like to be pushed to hard I have known to many people the have fried there speakers

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've had both my drivers reconed by SWR (pre fender). I'm real close to having one need done again.

I don't think its a matter of "pushed too hard" necessarily. I think there is a design flaw in these speakers. SWR replaced mine for free out of warranty because they determined the problem was due to a "defect." I really think every single one of them has the same defect.

I'll just keep reconing them if I have to. I'm just not sure who I'll have do it next time. Maybe I should learn how to do it myself.

7. danjerl

danjerl

Feb 10, 2009
    Recone. I have an OG SWR Redhead that will have to be pryed from my cold dead hands...along with all my other gear.

Anyway, I blew out both woofers and thought about getting different ones. After doing my research, I found that best thing to do was to recone them. Fortunately, there is a shop not too far from my place that did the work for me fo around $30 a piece.

8. Anthem Midnight

Anthem Midnight

Apr 20, 2009
    Okay so we've got a majority rule on the Re-coning Idea...circuitshop.com said they'd do it for 50 per speak...which is pretty decent...looks like that might be the way to go.

I will report back when I've made my decision

Thanks again you amazing bass people

9. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I've read of people having problems with these speakers. Generally the talk focuses on overexcursion due to bass frequencies, or the speakers not really being able to handle the power of the amplifier when used as a combo. Of course, that's generally the problem with any blown speaker. Hard to tell on a message board if its really a defect or you're just reading about a relatively insignificant problem.

Never had any of these problems myself, but something to bear in mind if you go the recone route. I really wish I could have kept this amp - it was mint, pre-fender, and sounded great. But I had to fund another purchase that I like even more.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Make sure they are going to use the proper kit for the re-cone. If they use generic parts you'll have a crapshoot on your hands.

Paul