Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Super Redhead problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avidus, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Avidus

Avidus

May 30, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Hey guys, gotta question for y'all. My Redhead seems to be making a buzzing noise every time a note I am playing begins to decay. I checked the diaphragm (sp?) on the tweeter, and it was fine, and I just recently replaced the speakers, so I don't believe it's that. I also replaced the whole board recently. Any thoughts?

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Combo amps in general are notorious for having rattles and vibrations. The Super Redhead I used to own had stacks of paperback books tightly wedged in the rack space (blank rack face cover concealed 'em). That was the only way I found to eliminate some serious vibration/rattle problems. If the main circuitboard has been replaced recently, I'd guess there's a very good chance that it needs to be better damped/padded somewhere. Other than that, bad grounding / faulty electrical wiring in the room can sometimes make for a noisy amp...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you've got an active bass, check the battery in it. Seriously.