Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Super Redhead, What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 22, 2004.

1. I was fixing to pick up a GK RB800 when I got to thinkin about whether or not I should get a cheap amp that will suffice for a while or whether or not I should save and go for something really highend that I can keep and use forever. So I started looking and I like the SWR Super Redhead, but I haven't played one. So I need some opinions. I'm not gonna buy based on opinions, I will most definately play one, but for now I was wanting some feedback on anyone that owns or has played one and what you guys think. Thanks. :bassist:

2. denjerre

denjerre

May 14, 2004
    I got the super redhead combo and I'm very happy with it. Compared to an ampeg SVT Classic it needs some more bottom end so I'm saving up for either the 15" Son of Bertha or the 18" Big Ben. Think it's super! (tried it with a 15" eden, warwick and ampeg with a great result but wanna try the swr cabs too before I start buying, especially the 18").

Anyway, it's a great amp, try it!

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its mostly just a question of "will a 350 watt 2x10 combo be loud enough for me". In most cases, I'd say its borderline on loudness so you may end up wanting to upgrade to something louder.

If you're playing rock with a drummer, you'll definately want to add a 4 ohm extension cabinet like a Goliath Jr III or a Triad I, and at that point you might want to consider getting a 410 cab (like the Goliath III) and a head (like the 750x) instead.

If you shop used in the classified forums here, your rig dollar will go a lot farther.

4. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've got the Super Redhead with Big Ben. As long as you're not playing really loud, it'll keep up by itself. It does sound great together though, I just wish there was a way to control the volume just to the Big Ben.

5. I just went to guitar center at lunch and played one with a Warwick Corvette. The low end was nowhere to be found. I think that'll be a problem. Can you fix it by simply adding a fifteen? I planned on having another cab to push with it. I really just need something to use as a practice amp, but I also have to have it for band practice and such.

6. Eden MEtro combo. That's what I think.

SWR is on the down swing. Viva El Fender Musical Instruments Corp., S.A.!

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think its better to get yourself a small inexpenisve practice amp and a seperate rig for playing with a band.

in general a 210 is only going to have so much volume and bottom end (with the exceptions being very high end and expensive).

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    My Mesa Scout has twice the balls of my old Super Red and SOB. You think that the SOB will fill out the sound, but it doesn't. There's no bottom end that blows you away, just back pain from moving the stuff. I gigged and rehearsed with a Super Red for a year before I found a Mesa for the right price. I added the SOB thinking it would fix the lack of bottom end. I was wrong and out serious money. I even had to check if it was plugged in properly because I was sure that it would sound like heaven and it just plain didn't. I hoped that this rig would be my high end dream come true. Wrong again. I play classic rock with lots of different basses. None of them sounded sweet. The sound was too transparent for me and had no real grit or chewiness.

I know that some of you love SWR. I love my Workingman's 10. I strongly disliked the Super Red and SOB. Top dollar doesn't always equal top preformance. I'm glad I was able to trade them for a Victor Bailey Jazz.

Save your money and buy Mesa if you want to get high end. This is only my opinion, but I have given this gear its fair chance.

9. the red head does have pretty good tone at low volumes but when you have to push it with a band, it really sucks!

i would look into the peavey bam combo, a heck of alot louder, or the mesa scout.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Its a very heavy combo! I would get a nice head & 2/10 cabinet. Easier to move around, and a lot more flexable.
    You could get a Thunderfunk head and a nice Bergie/ Schroeder/ Epifani etc cabinet. It would be lighter, sound better for about the price of the Redhead. Just my 2 pennies :bag: