SWR super redhead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MADhoward, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MADhoward

MADhoward

Jan 10, 2005
    Will the super redhead combo be able to play over a loud drum set, and guitar all by itself? I feel like I need a 4X10 cab and 350-550 amp head, but cant really afford it. I can get a super redhead for like $650-$700. Will the redhead do the trick?

2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I had this amp for a while, and can answer with a firm no. Tone wise, this is a great amp, especially in the studio. For Jazz gigs and general low volume stuff, go for it. But if you really want a full bodied tone with headroom, I'd go with the 410 setup.

3. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Don't do it... even used. I had one with the 18" sub... Ken Smith 5er... It farted out and left me dangling. I wasn't happy at stage volumes. Like the other cat said, "Great tone, NO ASS!!!"Had to play really HARD for having spent SOOOOOO MUCH......

4. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I've been using one successfully in a two guitar group for maybe six or eight years. The guitars both run through 2x12 combos and play fairly loud. For five string, it doesn't work that well on the extended range notes. I am looking at an efficient extension cabinet or possibly replacing it with a head/cab setup.

I suppose if you have the money, there are more efficient and capable configurations that will be of similar size.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021