Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Super Redhead's volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norre, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Yes, of course it is !

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Yes, but only if you add an extra cab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No way!

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have the opportunity to buy an SWR Super Redhead for half the price! The guy who sells it bought it last year and has only used it about 5 times in the studio for recording (never gigged with it). I haven't seen it yet (I'm going to check it out on monday), but I guess it's in a mint condition.
    My only concern is that maybe this amp isn't loud enough for a band (rehearsal and small clubs). I've checked the archives and some people say it's loud enough, others say it's loud enough if you add an extra cab and some say it isn't!
    So help me out here ...
    Tonewise this amp is IT! I've played it before - at a low volume - in a store and the sound was awesome!
    I just sold my Ampeg B2 combo (15" speaker - 200 W), because it wasn't loud enough (and it wasn't really the sound I was looking for)!
    It had only 1 15" speaker and I had a hard time cutting through the drums and guitar. I never added an extra cab to the B2 because there was a little voice inside my head that said "SWR ... SWR ... SWR ..." ;) So I just sold it.
    The Super Redhead has 350W and has the possibility to add an extension cab (I would probably buy a Goliath III Jr. 2x10 cab) for more volume.
    Should I go for it?
    Thx,

KN

2. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I think you should definately go for it. Redhead is a great amp and 350 watts should be able to tackle most situations. I'm pretty sure it also has a good DI so if you get to play big gigs you can always go trough PA. I use workingman 15" in our rehearsals with the son of the big bens neighbours half-goliath Jr. III mark- bertha or whatever 2x10" extension (200 watts total) with a drummer, guitarplayer, percussionist, three piece horn section, keyboard player and backup singers, and I've never had a problem cutting trough in the rehearsals. And the redhead is a lot louder.

But if I were you, I'd consider a 1x15" extension instead of 2x10". Redhead has two great 10" speakers already, a 15" would give it a bit more boom. But I'm sure that pretty much anyone should do just fine without an extension (if you don't play in a stadium rock band). Just pay some attention to eq and the sound will cut trough.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't be a fool! Buy it now. If you find you need more cab, get a 15 later. You will love this amp.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i agree with everything Tuomas said. SWR makes great amps, and the super redhead is one of the best combo's ive ever played ( if not the best :) ) i also third the suggestion on a 15" cab, instead of the 2 10"s. or maybe the big ben ........... the big ben is faster than other 18"s out there, and can definately add some bass into your situation. GO FOR IT!!! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!!!

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    how much do they cost? Im thinking about buying one now... I was gonna buy an Ampeg B2 but now I changed my mind. How much more is it than the B2 and does SWR have a set list price?

6. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hi lo-end,

The retail price for the SRH is 1,999$ and the retail price for the B2 is 1,099$. I don't know how much they cost in US stores, but in Europe the retail price is about the price you have to pay in the stores. I know there's a big difference in price, but IMO it's worth it. The SRH has a tube pre-amp and has a much warmer sound compared to the solid-state B2. However, if you are an Ampeg-minded guy you may not like the sound of the SRH.
    Check it out first.

KN

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Musicians Friend has the SRH for $1450, but I've heard of people getting them for under $1300.

8. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I just bought it! The amp was really in a mint condition. And that sound ... wow!
    The guy sold it 'cause he was moving to another country for his job (he stopped playing bass also). He gave me a couple of books for free (Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Chord Studies for Electric Bass, Improvising Jazz Bass, The Complete Electric Bass Player - book 4: Slapping Techniques and book 5: Bass Chording by Chuck Rainey, and a bag full of old Bassplayer magazines). I drove straight to our drummer and we "tested" it. He was impressed by the sound and the power of my "little" combo. I wonder what our gitarist will say tomorrow at rehearsal. I will buy an extra cab (son of bertha, 1x15") soon to get an even better sound.
    This amp is perfect for rehearsal and little clubs.
    Thanks for everyone who recommended me this amp - YOU WERE RIGHT , it's a great combo!!!

9. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    The Redhead is the "older" model of the Super Redhead. I think it's only 250 watts, but I could be mistaken. It's still a great amp, combo or otherwise. $638 sounds like a strange price point. You might want to check with your local high end store to see what they would retail it for before you commit to it. Otherwise - go for it! I own SWR stuff, and I swear buy it. Just bought a new Workingman's 15, and I love it. The Super Redhead was simply out of my budget.

10. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

11. That's a great price for a Redhead. And not too strange. I bought my Redhead used for $750 from a private seller. I would have paid way more than that at a "shop", I think. It's a great amp. I've yet to get the 15 to put under it, but I got a bonus comming soon and I'm goin' shopping!