SWR surgery

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcfoster, Jul 16, 2001.

1. pcfoster

May 8, 2001
    I've got a Workingman 15 combo.
    I'm looking to snip the connection between the amp and the speaker and wire the speaker to its own jack.
    That way, I can use the thing as 1x15 cab for my Hartke head, but I can also plug from the combo's external speaker jack to the new jack connected the speaker and have the combo working again as it used to.
    At least, that's the plan. Any suggestions where I can go to get circuit diagrams and whatnot? SWR doesn't seem to offer it.
  2. ivanmatte

Jul 19, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I did this with my Basic Black. Installed 2 ¼" jacks on the back, removed speaker line from 15" terminals and connected it to jack #1. Ran new speaker line from jack #2 to speaker terminals. Be sure to maintain same polarity on both jacks. Put label on the jack that goes directly to 15" speaker.

Then I bought short 6" ¼" to ¼" *speaker* cable to connect the 2 jacks when I want to use the Basic Black as per normal.

When I want to use it as cab only, I remove the 6" jumper and plug in my SM-400 into the labeled 15" speaker jack. Works like a charm.

Ivan M.
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You don't need a circuit diagram, just open up the box, cut the speaker leads and wire each half to a jack.

Oh yeah, drill some holes in the box so you can mount the jacks :)