Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR temptation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p0p_ri0t, May 7, 2003.

1. p0p_ri0t

p0p_ri0t

May 13, 2000
    i'm shopping for an entire new setup. i'm currently running a workingman 2004 through a 1x15 and 4x10. i realize that i'm not getting the power i really want out of it, though i've been very very happy with the sound. i'm looking to downsize my gear at the same time, yet be louder than i already am. so i've been eyeing the 350x, and found a really good "sale" price online which i've been tempted to get...

i tried it out at guitar center today, and it was running through a goliath jr III... my first impression was this isn't as loud as i was expecting it. maybe if it was through a son of bertha, it might've been louder.. but i don't know. if you know your SWR please help me out. i want to be sure that i'm getting the best for my budget.

i'm really set on getting a 350x with a goliath jr III and a son of bertha... i guess my question is, will this be loud enough (atleast louder than the 2004) for the small package that i'm after? i've thought about two sons of berthas instead of a goliath jr III, but that defeats the purpose (and desire) of having a loud, compact stack. or is having two sob's going to fulfill my needs better?

and for the record, i have not been on this board for a couple of years and was surprised to find my account is still alive. i was hoping to find a board to ask my questions since i had forgotten about this one!

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm here to recommend SWR amps to anyone who'll listen... but I'll also say that those clean, pure, mid-scooped watts just don't go very far, and you'll be wanting a lot of them. Ergo, I'm not at all surprised that you find the 350x a bit underwhelming. Frankly, I find my SM-900 a bit underwhelming. Still haven't found an amp I'd trade it for, though. ;)

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Find a 750 used or a 750x new. Set the tone flat crank it with a good strong bass not an anemic passive one. For a big room pre-amp at 12, crank the master to 3 and "let your fingers do the walking" through all the dynamics that you are capable of. This amp is quite clean while warm at high volumes. Get as much watts as you can afford.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    P.S. to previous post. This is description is through a Goliath III. The 350 doesn't have the headroom and starts to sound gritty at moderate volumes. A used SM-400 would be preferable I used two sometimes but one 750 is more than two 400s and sound great through the Aguilar gs-112s.

5. You are going from a 200watts into 4x10's + 1x15 rig to 350watts into 2x10's + 1x15 rig. Do to the fact that you are moving up from the Workingman series to the Professional series, I think you will hear an improvement in tone, but I doubt if you have much of if any increase in volume. What you might gain in wattage you will loose in surface area. I’d go with at least a 750x.

6. p0p_ri0t

p0p_ri0t

May 13, 2000
    thanks for the insight. i'm certainly fluctuating with the decision, but i guess this is just smart shopping.

my goal is to have a loud, compact SWR stack (i'm overlooking ampegs and all the others out there) with a budget under $1500--if there's such a thing.

there was a used 750 head for sale at guitar center which i didn't try out, but the price was really good. i'd consider getting this only, and only if i can get 2 small cabs with it (ideally a 2x10 and 1x15). reason why i'm after small cabs is because i like having the option of bringing just one of them to a small cafe show, and also bringing both of them when i need to be loud. i'm a small person, and i can't carry much weight. so i'm also taking that into consideration. i wouldn't give up the workingman 2004, but that's really too heavy in weight for me, and i do want to move on up the ranks with something more professional but smaller in size. (i also wanted to help my band save some space in our van)

even though i've been "playing" for 7 years, i still consider myself a downright beginner when it comes to gear because i don't know much about amps or basses...except that i'm attached to fender j-basses and swr's.

7. Hey!

If you sell the 2004,will you score me a deal on it?

thanks!

8. p0p_ri0t

p0p_ri0t

May 13, 2000
    hey osama, what's your budget? i'll see what i can do.. but i'm also trying to sell it at a decent price as a seller so i can use some of it to purchase my new crap.

ok well i've been looking at more bass head reviews. is it safe to say that there's no such thing as a 2x10 head that can handle lots of volume and power? now i'm thinking of just buying really good 10" speakers and building my own small cab. but well, i don't know much about that.

if someone can give me an example of a "small" loud stack, i'd appreciate it. again, my idea of a small loud stack was a 350x head with a 2x10 and 1x15. i'll be making another trip to guitar center today and try them out again.

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Wait, what is your budget again, didn't catch it. Ok, your current rig is 200 watts... You should at least get a 750x :
    1. It's only a few hundred more (NEW) than the 350x.
    2. It puts out 750 watts at 4 ohms.

Since I don't know your budget, i'll reccomend only SWR Cabs since that seems to be what your looking at...

Workingmans Tower = 8x10 , 750 watts at 4 ohms (would fit perfect with the 750x).
    Goliath 3 = 4x10 , 750 watts at 4 ohms.

Thoes are probably the two best around 700 watts I could think of... I'd say not to be worried about money, and just save until you get something that can last you a long time and be WORTH YOUR money.
    If you get something at like 700 watts, it'll last you quite a while, small clubs, pretty damn big places. But do whatever you feel the need for. _-soto-_

10. around 200...

sorry,Ima cheap-o:p