Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR the workingmans amp!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdiaz05, Mar 5, 2003.

1. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    I got a simple question. (Well actually a few) Does anyone use or have used the SWR workingmans heads and amps? i'm looking to get me a head 2x10's and a 15. Now rather than offering advice on getting a different set or going with some other company ya do'nt have too. I have really had my hearts set on SWR i've played them and they work for exaclty what i want to do. Also there have two heads the 4004 and the 8008. Where could i need to use the extra wattage? cuz i've been thinking of buy the 8008 instead of the 4004 but if i'm only playing clubs and or parties do i really need the 8008 with the 750 watts of power? or will the workingmans 4004 do? thanks...peace

2. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    excuse my typing...i can't type today for some reason

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm looking at a SWR WM300. Or a Hartke 3000 or a 3500.

Sometimes with so much gear available to us, it takes a day or 2 to get enough responses to get an idea on what might work for you. So persevere.

4. fdiaz05

fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    ya want me to do what now?

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I guess its always good to have extra headroom, its always better to be too loud than too soft, because you can always turn down. Just be sure that a 210 annd 115 can handle the 750 watts

6. Dude, the 4004 will be plenty for ya. I had a 4004 w/ a SWR WM 4x10 and 1x15 and that was my rig for 3 years. I have played many good size parties, and some of the bigger clubs in and around Boston, and the 400 watts was enough. I never once turned my amp volume past 8. I actually usually kept it at 6, or the sound guy would start giving me looks.

The SWR WM rig is a good med size rig. I just moved up to Mesa Boogie, which I love, but for the price and wattage of the SWR WM, you'll be all set.

Good luck!

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There have been two WM300's on the For Sale section here at TB recently. Bill Spangler is selling one and I don't remember who is selling the other.

brad cook

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use the 4004 with 2x10 and 1x15, and love that set-up. Sometimes I'll take another 2x10 instead of the 1x15, but either way, I like it. I don't see why you'd need that extra wattage if you're only playing small clubs and parties. I've never had the need for more, but if I did, I think it would be a lot more feasible to slip a small (200watts) reference monitor into that single rack space and carry my extra 2x10.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have been using the WM 4004 with the WM 410T as my main rig for several years now, and I have no real complaints at all. Great value for the money IMO. Hope you can find one too.

10. I can't say you'd absolutely need the extra power, but I'd suggest it.

If you're having to turn up to '8' to play that means IMO you don't have enough power. My amp tends to start breaking up at anything over 7 and I'd prefer not to push it that hard if I don't have to.

If there isn't any huge reason not to get the bigger one I think you might as well, you'll be much happier with a little too much power than with not nearly enough.

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've been using the SWR 4004 for a while and it has been a great amp.

I am only using a 2x10 but have no problem with being loud enough. I do plan to add a 1X15 sometime in the future but so far haven't felt a need for it.

Go for it. A good rig at a good price.

Pkr2

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I use the exact rig you are looking for with the 4004 head, 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Awesome rig!

The 8004 head is meant to go with either the Workingman's Tower or the Megoliath. I think the 4004 should be sufficient for your needs.

13. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Actually, I've decided to put my trusty Workingmans 300 up for sale.

It is electronically and mechanically perfect.

Only flaws are cosmetic:

It has some scratches including a healthy-sized one on top.

I lost one of the plastic EQ sliders but the nice folks at SWR are sending me a replacement.

Finally, the little red LED to indicate that the head is on doesn't light but the head is most definitely on. The other lights work just fine.

$250 plus actual shipping from 11231 (likely around $20). Paypal or US Postal money order only.

Check out my feedback on Ebay where I'm "swales1"

I'll post photos tonight.

Thanks!

Stephen