SWR tones for hard rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I am legend, May 4, 2002.

1. Hello, Everyone

I am currently re-arrganging my bass rig. I'm playing in a hard Metal band and need help. Currently, i'm runngin My Yamaha RBX260 through An SWR Workingman's 200 watt head and a matching 2X10 Cab. I am thinking about adding a 4X10 or a 1X15. Does anyone know something that will cut through hard metal? What sorta brands? Ampegs are expensive. Or if anyone has any advice about bringing a cutting tone out of my SWR setup or the Yamaha... it would be appreciated
    (Does Anyone know what setup Robin Graves of Cradle of Filth used? He cut through great)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For the metal, I'd say stick with the 410. More punch, less getting buiried. As for heads...well, they all are expensive. That's the nature of the beast. However, if you want to get really kick ass for low dollar in the amp department, I'd suggest a power amp (like say, a Carvin DCM1000, or a QSC PLX). Those give you mucho power for little $$. For the QSC, ask someone here for Lord Valve, he has excellent deals on them (the web adress slips my mind).
    And then, your 2004 should have a XLR out, right? If you use a mic cable, and lead it into the pre-amp, you'll have the SWR tone with bou coup power, well over 1000 watts if you want it. This'll run you less than 370, and you get a MASSIVE upgrade in sound. Or, for an additional 170, get a new pre-amp to go with the power amp, specifically the SansAmp Bass Driver DI (BDDI). Good pre-amp. Very good.

The 4x10 is another hill of beans alltogether. What's the price range you looking at?
  3. for the 4X10, about 3-600 $, put my 2X10's maximum wattage is 200, which sux, and what kinda tones can you get out of the Sansamp Bass Driver?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The SansAmp BDDI can get you a warm, tube sound, that's big, fat, and round, or with some tweaking, can get you some bite that'll cut through. This is of course, IME, you'll have to try one and see for yourself.

As for a 3-600...hmn. Sounds like maybe the Ampeg BSE410HLF $599, but free shipping. There's also Avatar speakers, though our tech guys say the cabs aren't tuned very well, though they are cheap, like $240, and according to our members, sound quite good. And at that price, you could get 2 of em! Or, Carvin sells 4x10s, which work pretty well, though some take issue. My pick of the litter?

I'd lean towards the Avatars, I guess. Cheap, and I believe they have a return policy.
  5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Depending on your total budget, I'd try to sell your current rig and get a Ampeg SVP-PRO + DCM 1000 + 4x10 of your choice setup.

For the cabs, anything could work, but Eden could be a good choice because of the low-mid boost they have. Or you could go with Ampeg or SWR.

Another option, if you can afford it, is to run the amp into the 2x10, then run a line out from the amp into a power amp which can feed a bigger cab, eg. 4x10 or 1x15.

Whatever you do, keep an eye out in the used market. Look at bassgear.com and the harmony central classifieds. They have good stuff for sale all the time.

Good luck.
  6. Try the new Laney B1 head with matching cabs. The head will give you 2 x 750w bi-amped and 1500w mono-bridged. Here in Europe they are not expensive: about 950 euro (I think it's around 850-900 US-dollar). They sound good too...
    Laney cabs aren't expensive either.