SWR Transparency control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Can anyone explain to me in detail what exactley the Transparency control on SWR amps does? I have a Workingman 15 and I'm not really sure what is happening when I make adjustments to this control.
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd assume that it works the same as other SWR amps... when it's not engaged, the treble control operates (is shelved) at about 2k Hz. When engaged (pulled out), the treble control operates at 4k - which is where the crossover for the tweeter/horn is. When engaged, the treble control becomes a tweeter/horn control - the effect is, as you've probably noticed, to give it that transparent, SWR signature sound.

Hope that helps :)
  3. Thanks!

Could you please explain the term shelved?

Also, My transparency control is not an on/off thing. It's a knob that goes from plus or minus 15.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Think of it as a selective mid cut. That's oversimplifying it a bit, but that's essentially what it does. You'll notice, too, that it makes a bass player more "transparent" in the mix as well.
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Your ears will just notice a more glassy and somewhat rounded high end. The transparency control aids in eliminating some of the brittle and sometimes harsh characteristics associated with having a tweeter. (It's been awhile since I've had one but I seem to remember it doing something like that).
  6. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Count, don't you have your manual? It's explained in there. I also own a Workingman's 15, as well as a SM-400. Both have the Transparency controls. As you turn up the control, your sound becomes "less brittle" or "smoother" in my opinion. It helps to bring out the mid's and level out the high's. :p
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, I need a good explanation of the 'shelf' concept myself - maybe someone here can provide a good technical explanation for both of us.

Also, my explanation of the transparancy control may be incorrect - my main experience has been with my Super Redhead, where the transparancy function is engaged by pulling out the treble control. My previous post is a straight-from-the-manual explanation of what the control does on the Redhead... but a separate control may operate somewhat differently.

My apologies if I was wrong in my initial post... now my curiousity's aroused and I'll probably go snoop around for an answer on the SWR website - they have PDF files of all owners manuals online (really cool). You might check there yourself for more info...
  8. I have a manual but it just gives a really generic description. I was just wondering if anyone had a more detailed explaination of what is going on as you turn the transparency control.

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    You'll notice that "shelving" is only used to describe treble or bass controls. The reason is that a treble 2K treble control affects all the frequencies 2K and higher. A shelving 40HZ bass control affects frequencies 40HZ and lower.

Hope that is clear.