1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Triad-Do I Have a Bad Crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimriz, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    I had a gig the other night and encountered a new "sound" in my SWR Triad cabinet. At a fairly loud 50% volume with a 400 watt head, I was getting a loud snapping noise from the 10" speaker in the cabinet every time I went to a low B,C & D on the B string on my Sadowsky. The pre-amp clip LED has to be lit to bring this noise on, and only on those low notes. I've gigged plenty before at higher volumes with no such problems. I don't think the 10" speaker is blown, in fact I'm digging my tone in every way except when this sound occurs. My soundman freind suggested that perhaps the crossover within the cab could be failing. The Triad is the first tweeter/ speaker cab I have owned, so I'm not real familiar with the components and their roles. I guess my questions are: Do crossovers go bad? Can this be fixed? How can it be fixed? Thanks for any help, Jim

2. jimriz

jimriz

Dec 28, 2004
    Hackettstown,NJ
    Really, No one?

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds to me like you are clipping your amp and the speaker is just reproducing it. Try backing off on the gain so that the clip like never comes on, then turn the master up to get the volume you need.