Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Triad I Owners, Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Jan 26, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm curious what amp you've found gives you the best tone with the Triad I. So far, I've been unhappy with several and have found that the SWR Bass 750, while having too much wattage for the cab, is the best sound I've found. The Bass 350 sounds very good but I'm wondering about others. My Eden WT400, for instance, does not sound right with this cab. Thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a Green Audio (German company, out of business) rig with my Triad. I use one side of my Poweramp (500W @ 4 Ohms).

[​IMG]

It's a solid state rack system. The sound is good, but the cab is too quiet.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting rig, JMX. By "too quiet" I assume you mean you're not getting enough output out of the Triad? Be careful as you're overdriving the cab with an extra 100 watts, especially if you've got it cranked.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My backup rig is a Triad with a Nemesis NA 600 head. With the Triad being @ 4 ohms, I get about 450 watts of clean power with it. It's actually a pretty nice combination. I once ran a SM 750 head through it, it was loaned to me, and I almost killed my beloved Triad. :eek:

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got one!

i have it plugged into one side of my power amp, and a goliath jr in the other side, each getting 350 watts. it's a serious beast of a rig. i get ALMOST the 4x10 + 15 thing happening, but i have the 2x10 as the small cabinet for small gigs instead of a lone 15. i played a pretty good sized show last nite (packed club, probably around 600) and i didn't need PA support - pant legs flapping the whole time.

but! i had run that same speaker rig with my bass 350 for about 6 months and toasted the 15" speaker in the triad. it's not a very efficient cabinet, so i'd make sure you've got some power behind it so you don't start clipping your poweramp when you run out of headroom and start taking out speakers.

as for tone - i've never played any rig that tonally comes close to my IOD -> carvin poweramp -> triad & goliath jr. i had maybe 10 people come up to me last night and say how great the bass sounded.

:D

jason

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Last night Adam Nitti ran an SM 900 head through an SWR 2x10! He sounded damn good. He said that he didn't bridge it, so it was able to work out.

7. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    I've got one of those. For the longest time I ran my SWR Grand Prix into a PV CS-1200 (600 watts into 4 ohms) then into the Triad. I found that when I was within 5 feet of the cab, I loved it! The sound was thick and meaty. However, band members 10 to 15 feet away were complaining that the sound was thin. When I walked over to that side of the room, I heard what they were saying. I tried different EQ settings (my usual is a slight smile curve, usually nothing over +/- 3db). The things just didn't seem to throw out gobs of sound.

Unfortunately, I solved the problem by adding more gear. I now place the Triad on top of my SVT-410HLF and things are great. Big thick sound, even at a distance. However, if I was only bringing one cab to a gig, the Triad would be staying at home. I should also mention that I now use an Ampeg SVP-Pro instead of the grand Prix as well.

I think that the biggest problem I have with it is the frequency distribution. Anything below 100hz goes to the 15. freqs between 100 (right around an open G) and 5k go to the 10, and freqs above 5k go to the tweeter. One of the tunes we played had a bass part that walked up two octaves, starting at the low E. As I moved up the neck, the sound got weaker and weaker as it transitioned from the 15 to the 10. The low fundamentals and it's harmoincs utilized both cones, anything going past the open G was leaving out the 15.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I still love the cab on it's own, but in the band settings I've been in (rock to hard rock), it hasn't been able to hold it's own in practice. Close mike it through a PA at a gig and you're golden.

I Hope this helps.

RebelX

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, y'all. I'm using mine for small rooms where the worse thing we can do is be too loud! I'll have to be careful I don't let that Bass 750 eat it up tonight...

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I also use my Triad in a small room. I use an SWR SM500 head, left side only. I bypass the SM500 preamp and feed in from an Alembic F1X preamp and an Alembic SF2 Superfilter. I was getting some of the "lost in the mix on the high end" comments that rebelx described, though nobody nailed it down to the level of detail he had. When I added the Superfilter to my chain it cleared everything up.

I actually have two Triads, but I haven't had the opportunity to biamp them yet.

Peace,

James

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I did 4 sets in a small club last night with the Triad and Bass 750 and, although it took a set to get everything dialed in, the sound was very good. I never got above 9 o'clock on the master volume and adjusted the preamp gain with the Modulus Q6 so the peaks flickered the overload light. I was surprised how fat the bottom was. Most of my tweaking, actually, was to get more hi-end definition, usually not a problem with the Modulus. Still haven't found the perfect 400w/4ohm amp to drive this thing but I'm still looking. As long as I don't overdrive it with the 750, that's a pretty cynergistic match.