Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Triad or Henry the 8x8. Can either of these do it all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZoomBoy, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Hi,

Here's my idea: I want to simplify my rig by going the single 4 ohm cab route. My current head is an Eden WT300 and I play all kinds of music (blues, funk, rock etc.) and I want a cab that can handle most situations. Which would my fellow Talkbassers recommend to go with my Eden? I like the idea behind the Triad but the 8x8 has me intrigued and to make matters more confusing, the price difference I was quoted for brand new cabs is only $50 more for the Henry over the Triad.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Personally, i'd go with the 8x8. Its one of the bassiest (and of course, PUNCHIEST) cabs i've ever had the pleasure to try. If i didn't get my Bag End equipment, that would've been it. Its an incredible cabinet, especially for the price. It throws pretty damn well, too.

Granted, ive only tried the triad once, but it wasn't comparable to the Henry, imo.

3. Well, I have never played the Triad, but i have played the Henry 8x8, and i must say i support that option as well. I played it with an ESP 5-string, i forget the model, and the SWR Bass 350, and it was great. It was very loud and very punchy, and it handled the low B at high volumes without breaking up at all. It was a terriffic cab. It was incredibly punchy too. I love that cab.

4. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have the older SWR Silverado combo amp with the 4x8" speaker configuration, and it sounds great. I've thought about getting a Henry the 8th cab to go with it. The 4x8 cab sounds great. The Henry would just be twice as much of a good thing.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the Triad sound, and it would be a perfect match for the Eden WT-300. That Little 300 might be a little underpowered for an 8X8. Either way, you would be certifiably insane for buying one or the other without playing both.

6. Hey lowfreqguy, sorry man, but two SWR 4x8s do not equal one 8x8, except that they're easier to move around! SWR uses Celestions in the now discontinued 4x8, and PAS speakers in the 8x8. The 4x8 is a great cab for low volume stuff, and for upright bass. The PAS speakers are a heavier duty than the Celestions and have a different sound.

7. Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah Munji, I agree that my amp might be a little under-powered for the Henry but I will try both before I buy.

Jeff