Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swr Triad vs. Epifani 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There,

I have a SWR triad which I want to let go. I'm thinking of the Epifani 410 cab (standard). Has anyone compared these two cabs tonewise. I like the versatility, tightness and full range of the SWR, but it farts on higher volume and seems too sterile. I have been fascinated by Epifani for long time and I think they would suit me needs? What do you think. By the way I have a all-tube SVT and a QSC plx 3204/Aguilar DB680 rig.

2. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Seriously, the epifani is so far ahead of the triad in just about every department, that its almost unfair to compare the two.

i doubt you would be dissapointed if you opted for it. the non-UL is definitely the best 410 my ears have heard. I havent heard the UL model, but im sure it would hold its own against the ceramic model.

each to their own though. you really have to hear it for yourself to truly know if its for you.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Absolutely worlds apart! The triad is very inefficient as SWR cabs go which lends itself in part to the farting you are experiencing. In local shops, I also found that it didn't pair with other cabs well either due the the inefficiency and somewhat unremarkable lowend. Even with the 3-way set-up, you'll get a more full range sound with the Epifani, particularly with better highs (more open and airy without the signature fostex clank) from a much better tweeter. I find the lowend of my 310 comparable to, if not better than, most mid-level 115 cabs.You'll have much better definition and volume as well IMO. I think the question here really is: Do you want the rumble of a 15 or the cut and punch of 10's. If you want both, perhaps a 210 and 115 combination of cabs? It would kill if you could handle the cost and size... You already have the power handling down.
    :hyper: :bassist:

Edit: WOOT! 1000'th post! :eek: :smug:

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    The epifani 410. I used to wonder what real volume and tone sounded like until I picked mine up used. My only complaint is the high end is a little too accurate, when I overload my xwire with high output active basses, the distortion is pretty evident.

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Thanks for you replies guys, I once had a Ampeg 4x10hlf, I found that it a great warm tone, but was too scooped and colored and had a slow response. How would you compare the Ampeg 4x10hlf to the Epifani?

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have not played an Ampeg HLF, but my Epi has a very fast response... I'm sure that someone here has had experience with both cabs at some point. ;)