SWR Triad vs Goliath lll Volume & Clarity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Me again!:D Anybody want to talk SWR cabs? Now I really want to try SWR cabs, seeing as how they get good reviews, and use the same drivers (PAS) as the mesa boogie 115 cab I liked. Anyway, Is the Triad loud, does anybody have experience with it? Or is the Goliath lll louder, or clearer? How about there new twelve pack 2x12, are they fast twelves, or soft like edens? I'm wondering because I think I'm going to invest in one 4ohm cab, instead of 2 8ohm. I want to make the most of my 360W head, and was wondering if the drive to Edmonton Alta. is worth it, any thoughts?
  2. Forget the 212, it's an 8ohm.:oops:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Triad sound nice, but is way too quiet as a standalone. Internal workmanship isn't too great either, at least on mine (early 90s).
    The only one buy I ever regretted later. Get a 4x10 instead! You get roughly the same sound quality plus good volume.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both. The Triad is a genuinely weird cab. Very amp-dependent and not always good unless you find just the right combination. The Goliath III is considerably louder and way more punchy. The Triad has a really nice, warm low-end if you hit it with enough watts. I use a Bass 750 to coax a usable tone out of it for small room gigs when I use it by itself. The Triad also seems to be quite inefficient. The Goliath III, OTOH, is my current fave 410. Clean, clean and punchy.
  5. Thanks, That is answered my question perfectly. If the triad isn't that great of a stand alone, than that pretty much somes it up. However, how does the triad compare to a Goliath jr. 210 for volume and clarity?
  6. I own both these cabs and while the Triad has great tone and a more stable bottom end (particularly if you play a 5-string), the Goliath Jr is certainly punchier and probably a bit louder.

My personal opinion is to do what I did - get both of them! They make an excellent combination.

Good Luck
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

totally agree. i ran it at practice last nite tho with 1000W going into it and i was REALLY loud.