Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Triad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Dec 14, 2005.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What's everyone's experiences w/ SWR Triads?

I have access to one, in building my rig... I havent heard it, as I only have my ampeg combo, which doesnt have a speaker out for me to drive it from.

I somehow expect I'll need a 2x10 to sit atop it, but then I'll need a 2ohm capable power section...

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wonderful sounding cab with one big problem.

for med volumes it's great. However, the 400 watt rating is misleading. the 15 is a 250 watt unit, and the 10 is about 150 watts. unfortunately, as you may know the bass frequencies eat up most of the watts. when pummeling the unit with 400 watts most of those end up going to the 250 watt 15 and ka-blam!

i've seen a ton of em with blown 15" drivers.

other than that, i think it's a great sounding cab.

i always thought it might be cool to retrofit one of those with a 400 watt 15" with appropriate ts parameters.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, if you had access to one... what would you drive it with? Sounds like anything more than a GK 800 might be too much?

4. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Any amp in the 300-500 watt range ought to be fine, but just don't push it to hard.

I've been using a pair of Bag End S15X-D cabs (200 watts, 400 peak each) with QSC PLX-1202 (Bridged 1200 Watts).......nice headroom, nice tone....I just don't push it too hard. Never had a problem.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I tried the Triad with my 400+ head, but I was not satisfied. I then hooked up another Triad and it sounded great. I would recommend this cab if you pair it with another cab with similar wattage. It had excellent highs, but when using it as a stand alone cab it seemed to lack some lows. I would maybe put one of these on top of another 15 to get a great sound.

6. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The Triad sounds very good, but does not play very loud. You have to think of it as a 250 w cab. But if you plays only up to mid volume gigs I will absolutely recomend you to give it a try

7. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I had a Triad and, overall, I think it sounded like a big piece of honky midrange ass. No warmth whatsoever and that harsh sounding cheap POS Foster horn sounds like a completely separate component. I found the cab to sound better with the horn attenuator dialed out altogether. I give the Triad two thumbs down.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Ahhh. another fan of the Foster tweeter. Well, that aside, I thought my Triad sounded great. I had an opportunity to AB it with an Epi310, and the low end extention on the Triad was beautiful.

Back in the day when I was using one, I had a bass player buddy sit in while I sat out in the club to listen. SM400S, Ken Smith bass, and that Triad sounded just awesome 25 feet away. Like a studio monitor.

Everyone's comments about power handling are spot on however.

I threw an EV15 in my Triad once as an experiment. I lost the low end that the stock PAS driver gave, but gained some volume and upper midrange punch. If I would have had my Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF at the time, I would have surely tried that as well, probably with better results.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, thx for the good feedback... its quite useful! But, I have more questions.

Are there any major differences between the Triad & the Triad I? This particular cab, is the Triad I.

Here's the thing, I'm getting involved w/ a cover band, & I only have my Ampeg BA115SP, which is BARELY loud enough for practice running at max capacity. So, IMHO, I clearly need a substantial upgrade. And, If the Triad I is sitting there unused, I'd be crazy to NOT take advantage of that.

So, If I'm going to use it, I need to configure a setup to include it. Triad's run at 4 ohms already, so, what ever I do power wise, will need to accomodate 2 - 4 ohm cabs by either running at 2 ohms.... or have stereo outputs to run 2 channels at 4 ohms,, like your typical power amp.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I ran one for over a year off one side of an Eden WT-1000, with a Goliath II on the other side, and the pair always gave great tone all over the stage, in any room. IMO its a great sounding cab.

Yes, other 15s will go louder, but a Triad with a 2x10 or 4x10 would be fine for almost all band contexts.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great speaker cab for a stereo power amp and running it on one side of the amp.... I love the sound of this cab also, just not loud enough. Especailly since it is still a large cab

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I dimly recall talking to Adrian at SWR about that, I beleive he said the differences were they changed the 15 woofer since the 1 series.

For some reason, I remember having concluded I was better off with the Triad 1 vs the Triad 3, but don't recall why. That 15 goes very low in that box, like down to the high 30's I think.

Yes, your power requirements should provide 400 watts minimum to get the most out of that cab. I used only one side of my Eden WT800 with it, (4 ohms) and it was lacking. I would not hesitate to hit a Triad with a little more power and just keep a careful eye on excessive cone excursion.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I've got an idea...

I should be fine, running the Triad out of one side of a QSC at 4ohms.... I can throw the 30hz limiter on, to help protect the seemingly tender cones... Now, I need to figure what what to do w/ the other channel & I'm golden.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Get a small mixer and run your own monitor mix!

15. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I love this cab, I actually regret selling it a couple of years back...it is very tight, and controllable....and IMO no problem to handle small and som midsize venues...I wouldn't hesitate buying it back if I found one, it just has a great balanced sound that I like...though, the treble horn sucks...but IMO all does, well except Bergantino cabs...sweet!

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've always wanted to try a pair of Triads, stacked :bassist:

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I gotta say, the Triad is my least favorite SWR cab. Where's the BEEF? My 210 blew it off the stage, both in volume and in tone!

18. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I can understand this, the triad is more flat sounding that any other swr cab I've tried, but you can dial in some deep low end....my experience is that this cab can get really ballsy with eq....it is more like a studio monitor to my ear...

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have an EBS 311, which is their version of the same cab, and it is by far deeper, richer, with more intelligible mids and highs. I echo the poster that said the Foster tweeter sounded like a completely different component. The tweeter in my 311 is wonderfully integral to the sound, and the mids are more musical to my ear. The 15 in mine is a little weak, but I may replace it anyway with a Delta or Omega.

20. dregen77

dregen77

Oct 19, 2005
    Barcelona, Spain
    i have one that goes with a trace elliot head ah250 and sounds great. i found a good balance of lows and mids and the sound just stands out. i'm a little afraid to push the head too hard because its 250W and the cab is 400W, but i git the volume i need and the head never clips so i guess i am alright. try it, i think you will like it.