Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Triad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Comakazi, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Anybody have any experience with these? I was thinking about getting rid of my 4x10 and moving to one of these -- opinions, suggestions?
    I also will be using a Trace V-4 (all tube) head, and was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on how it would sound.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use one of these along with a goliath jr 2x10 as my speaker rig.

i love it. it's very neutral and clean sounding, and has not only the big bottom of a 15 but the punch of a 10. sounds better than any 15" cab i've ever heard, that's for sure.

however, i think it's kind of quiet due to its crossover design. everything above 100Hz goes to the single 10" speaker or the horn, and the 15 only gets everything under 100hz. i don't know if it would be a good cab by itself if you play loud music. also, the 15 in mine blew a while ago, i think because i was powering my whole rig with 400 watts and trying to make it much louder than the head wanted to go, and i think the distortion took it out. or maybe it's just cos i play a 5 with lots of bottom, and the 15 can't take it? not sure. i'd think it is the same speaker as the son of bertha, and that can handle 300 watts...so that shouldn't be it.

im' sure it would sound awesome with that head though.

jason

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Same here!

It sounds superb, but 98 dB SPL (my guess is that it's more like 96 dB) won't get you far as a standalone, esp. since it's only good for 300 W RMS (the 400 W rating by SWR is way too optimistic IME).
    It's great when you combine it with a 2x10 or 4x10.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...after writing that i realized i had never really seen how my triad works...so i opened up the crossover and removed the 10. (the 15 has been out for a while)

so in the back panel there's the crossover for the horn, and then there's two outputs for each speaker. the one for the 10 goes into this black cylinder before going into the speaker, so i'm guessing that's it's crossover...

but the 15 runs straight into the speaker, no crossover or nothin. so...the 15 gets everything, the 10 gets everything above 100 hz, and the horn gets everything above 1k.

so then....that would explain why my speaker blew (i doubted there would be enough distortion under 100hz to blow a speaker).

and every time i ran my bass 350 into just my triad it sounded killer, and the head started clipping before the speaker did. so i'd say the 400 watt rating is pretty close.

get a triad and a goliath jr.....better than a 2x10 plus a 15, and lighter than a 4x10 + 15

jason

5. I dont like the idea of adding a triad with another cab cause its four ohms.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I had a chance to get a floor model NOS Triad lst month for $449.I liked the basic sound of the thing,but I too felt it wouldn't be quite enough on it's own with a 5 string.THEN I tried the Henry 8x8...Wow! But it won't fit in my car :-(

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, it only depends on your poweramp.

It's no problem with a stereo/dual channel poweramp or an amp that handles 2 Ohm loads.

8. I had the same "sounds good but not loud enough" experience. I like the 4x10's better...

(and the 6x10's better than that, and 8x10's better than that....) :D

9. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    See, that's what I was wondering, if it would be loud enough. Well I'll probably look elswhere. I do like the 4x10's so I'll most likely go that way.

But virtual made me think of something - what's that 8x8 like? Is it good for getting the depth of a fiver?

10. I use a Triad I with a 5-string. It is Plenty loud for what I play (Gospel, Jazz).

Later