Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Triad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Sep 11, 2002.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Anyone use one or have experience with the SWR Triad cab? Seems like I have seen them bashed a bit here and there. Any thoughts?

ITT

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own one. It's a weird cab. The weirdness is related to the crossover. You can almost pin-point on the neck when the 10 kicks in. It sounds best with plenty of watts as it's rather inefficient. I had good luck with mine using an SWR Bass 750. Hardly ever makes it out of the garage these days as I have numerous superior cabs (Bergantino, Epifani, etc.). Thinking of selling mine, actually. Not a bad cab with the right amplification. Some guys don't think it has enough by itself but that wasn't my experience if you juice it enough.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i concur. if you hit it with enough juice it seems to be ok. Nowhere near as loud as a 4x10 but it's got some serious tone happening.

could be a great recording cab.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've seen a couple bands play where the bass player was using a Triad. Problem was I couldn't hear any bass at all. Seems to me like the Triad is one of those cabs that sounds great by itself but gets lost in a band situation.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I used to go to a rehersal room with my band where they have a SWR Triad with a G-K 400 head.

I don´t know why, but I was never able to find a sound with enough presence to cut through the band..... all we heard was BOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM ..... really muddy........ I agree with Phat Ham

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't care for the tone from the triad. Nope, nope. Sounded kinda junky or something to me. I want chunky, not junky, and I couldn't get enough clear low end out of it.

brad cook

7. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I used to own a trid and made a big mistake when i quit playing for a while and sold it. I am back playing again and cant find a good deal on another one or i would have got it. The only downside i could find was that it was inefficient and needed alot of power to run it, i eventually got an 800 watt power amp running it and it was the best sounding cabinet i have played through. Bottom end is so much stronger than a 410 and the tone is beautiful. If you use an swr head with it just turn the aural enhancer completely off and it will sound great, It also needed a boost at about 100-150 hertz to cut through but if you set you amp properly it will cut through just fine and sound great. Most people have problems projecting on any amp because they dont set there amps up properly and run far too much low end and cut the mids too much. If you want more bottom boost it at 100 hertz.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It is a great sounding cab... just like the others said not enough volume. It's a 4ohm cab that good for many things. Sonically the problem is that it doesn't cut like a 410 and it's just as big. If you want a 15 with a little more definition it is a good idea. Due to its size and volume (or lack thereof), it never quite caught on with most people

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Used one with a Goliath II for a year or two, run stereo with an Eden WT-1000. Thing has great tone, but not huge output. That said, I played some pretty big stages and always sounded great with enough volume for a rock band.

10. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I found that if you close the porthole behind the 10" (MIDRANGE) driver, you get less “boominess.” Doing this can also extend the life of the original speaker.

A second benefit is it directs more sound to the front (where it belongs), and since it becomes a sealed box, is much less prone to over-excursion and blow-out.

It worked for me when I replaced the original drivers with a JBL 2012H and a Beyma 15LX60. I now pump 700+ watts through and don’t worry – even at high volumes.

Paul

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    The Triad's caught my interest in the past. But with the weird crossover issue on the Triad, it seems less appealing... it did get me thinking, though, how would a Bag End S15 sound with a S10 (or really any manufacturors single 10" and single 15")? I used a 2x10 and 1x15 for awhile and liked it, but wouldn't have minded hearing the 15" a little more sometimes... I dunno, anyone run a setup like that?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a jazz cat around town who plays his vintage jazz bass through a Walter Woods Ultra into a Triad and, to my ear, it sounds bitchen. I've seen him play outdoors with no PA support, and there was plenty of bottom.