swr triad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by colforbin, Nov 11, 2000.

1. colforbin

Nov 10, 2000
    Anyone got any opinions on the SWR Triad? I just bought a Warwick FNA5, and I am looking for a a 3 way cabinet..(15, 10, and tweeter)...Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, are there many 4X10 cabinets that can handle the B string? I just bought a 5 string, and I thougt most of the 4X10's had trouble reproducing the real low frequencies..

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the sound of the Triad. It's plenty punchy, but still does a nice job down on the bottom. If I was an SWR guy, I'd have one.
  3. colforbin

Nov 10, 2000
    What's your flavor in cabinet and head, Munjibunga? I am looking at David Eden Traveller and the Triad...I think they would make a deadly combo..:)
  4. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    yo check out the ampeg extreme series. they have a few full-range cabs with a variety of speaker sizes.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Colforbin -

I think you're right ... it would be deadly. I've given some serious thought to that setup, but I'm already too deep into Eden cabs, which sound just fine, too. I use an Eden WT-300 with a D-210XLT and a D-410XLT in various combinations.
  6. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Actually, I think the 4X10 will handle that B string better than the triad. Think about it..with the triad you are only moving 25 inches of air...with the 4X10 you are moving 40!!! and with the triad you are really using the 15" driver only (for the B) I used to think that bigger speakers = bigger bottom end. Not so! A bass player friend proved me wrong. I hooked up my old Crate 2x15 with a SWR SM-500. I turned up the volume so the clip indicators lit up. pretty loud and boomy, but kind of muddy. Thats moving 30" of air.....Now for the SWR 8x8 my buddy owns....He took back his head(it was his) and fired that babby up....WHOA!!!!! It smmookeeddd my 2x15 in clairity, punch AND low end. I never thought 8's could so so deep. But if you think about it, you are moving 64" inches of air with the 8X8. Also, your signal is spread evenly to 8 drivers. Now there are other things to consider, Like how effecient the speakers are...etc. I see a lot of combo cabs that have a crossover built in..Crossovers can really hurt the sound if you do not have them dialed in right..even then sometimes you have no control over the range. Dont get me wrong;the traid is a top cab...its good for studio gigs. But live I would play something like a 4x10 or an 8x8....
  7. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Actually, we are talking square inches, not inches. The area of a circle is 3.14 x radius squared. A 10 inch speaker would have a 5 inch radius. That means it can move 3.14 x 5x5 or 78.5 sq inches of air. A 4x10 cabinet moves 78.5 x 4 = 314 sq inches of air. The triad has a 15 inch cone and a 10 inch cone. That works out to a total of approx 255 sq inch of air being moved. So the difference is not that great. I believe other factors besides speakers contribute to low end, like the enclosure itself. For me personally, I would want a 15 inch speaker somewhere in my rig if I play a 5 string. It seems to bring out my lows better. But that's just me.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I will hopefully be A/B'ing a triad and a Henry saturday. I let you know if interested, or you can read my Trace Elliot V4 post (blatent plug I know).
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Do your self a big favour and try the Ashdown ABM 1510hx with 1x15 1x10 and horn before you discide on anything else. Sounds great.
  10. I have a Triad.

Awesome cab.

Good luck.
  11. Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Actually, a driver is a conical section, not a flat circle - but that's really getting anal about it. :D

One other problem that many 8 & 10" drivers have is excursion. That's the distance the cone can move to create the sound wave. Low frequency waves are big. That's why a large cone is usually used. The other option is to use a smaller cone with a long travel. Usualy called "long throw" or "deep excursion" cones, they travel far enough to produce really low notes. They cost more to produce and usually are less efficient than comparible drivers though. Larger drivers naturally move farther but they run into problems of break-up, which requires a strudy cone, and control which requires a light cone or a more powerful magnet. Either way its all about trade-offs.

And if you drive an amp to clipping, why are you surprised if it doesn't sound good?
  12. I've got an Ampeg set up like the Triad, with a 15, 10, and tweeter. I love that cab. It's got it all. I'd love to have another. The thing is to pair it up with a cab full of 10s. That's what it's really meant for. Stack a 4x10 and the 15-10-tweeter and there you go. I stack mine on top of an 8x10! :) But now I'm getting a 2x15 to go under the 8x10 and the 15-10 is headed to the guitar side of the stage. More speakers is a good thing! :)