SWR underpowered = I need another cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snarf, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Okay, situation:

My SWR 350 is putting out 240 watts @ 8 ohms into a Dr. Bass BL115 cab. It's not enough volume. Handling on the Dr. Bass is 500 watts (presumably at 4 ohms)

I want to add another 8 ohm cab, getting me 350 watts out of the head. But the cab is rated at 200 watts @ 8 ohms. Will it be okay to pair cabs up like this?
  2. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Assuming i understood waht i just read. You want to decrease the load so tha tyour amp will put out a full 350 watts into 4 ohms. If the cab you are using is rated to handle 200 watts then adding another cab just like it will increase the output of the amp and each cab will take 175 watts per. SO the short answer to your question is yes that is fine. Just make sure both of the cabs are 8 ohms as that amp is not designed to handle a load smaller than 4.

One thing to also kep in mind is that it is typically better to overpower your cabs than to underpower them. Having more headroom means less distortion, which means less blown speakers.

Good Luck

E Payne
  3. grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    if you use just one cab it´ll but 350W or what ever it´s max is in 4 Ohms in to it.
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yes, but my primary concern is whether or not a cab with 200 watt handling will be okay with a 350 watt head.
  5. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Stingray is exactly right. Two cabinets at 8 ohms each will mean each will receive 175 watts. This will substantially increase the perceived volume of your rig, if only because you have increased the number of speakers.You should have no problems.
  6. grooVWy

Apr 9, 2005
    If you have one head producing 350 W and 2 cabs that can handle about 200 W each you have no worries.

7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try to match sensitivity of your existing cab "99 dB" with your future cab. or else the higher number sensitivity cab will sound louder and dominate your tone of your system. try to keep it within a few "dBs" and make sure it is a 8 ohm cab too.