1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR "Voicing" : X series or SM series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 27, 2006.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I'm thinking of buying a working 700 SWR Head. This product is not available for rental around here. I can, however, rent a X series or a SM series head. I'd like to try out the voicing of the head, marriage with my cabs, and experiment a little with it, and not at the store, but in a rehearsal room, with my bands.

So wich one is most similar to the workingpro series : X series or SM series.

Thanks

2. What cabinets are you running? As far as being closer to the workingpro series, it's definitely the X series. The SM series heads are the highest end of the SWR amp series. For the price difference, you'd be far better off trying to find a used Bass 750X than buying the working pro 700. Your best value though will be to find an older SM 900. By older I'm talking 10 years old or so. If it's been well cared for, you can't go wrong.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Mainly, it's going to be for my workingpro 410 8ohm cab, but I also have a 115 JBL and 210 Hartke that I'll surely try together (But these last two cabs sound great biamped with my GK 800RB). It's basically going to be my other tone rig, as well as a spare everything.

4. The X series may be just what you're looking for. If you don't need the sub-bottom effect (and really, who does?), try to find a pre-X bass 750