Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR vs. AMPEG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ken, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ken

ken

Nov 12, 2003
    MICHIGAN
    I have an SWR workingmans 4004,210,115 rig now,it works well for me with a Sans Amp, (I know Workingmans lower end SWR). I'd like to some day upgrade to AMPEG but people keep asking me why, telling me my SWR sound more then fine and the SansAmp really kicks.

Is AMPEG really worth the money compaired to SWR?

Will a SVT-4Pro sound $1300 better the my SWR4004 and SanaAmp? (which is paid off).

I'm looking to get a 410 cab soon, should I SWR to match or Ampeg for better gear?

I'd hate to through out ~$2000 on new Ampeg gear and find it wasn't worth every penny.

2. I really depends on personal preference. The components in the Ampegs are a higher quality than the Workingman's. But, if you're satisfied with your sound, why switch? Also, Ampeg has the Ampeg tone, and if that's not your tone, no amount of money is gonna fix it.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I spent about $1800 too find out that I really did not care for SWR gear. I owned a SWR 750, SWR Son of Bertha 115, and a Goliath Jr. 210. The 750 was "high mid". Not a lot of thump in that amp. I thought there cabinets were garbage.

After a year I sold my SWR and bought 2 Aguilar GS112, a QSC PLX-1602, and a Demeter HBP-1. This rig was about the same price but sounds 20x's better, has "the sound" I was after, and is far more portable while weighing a ton less.

You can find Aguilar GS112's for about $300
    (1 pair of GS112 will keep up with any 410 or 210/115 rig I have ever heard)

QSC PLX-1602 should run about $550 used

Demeter or Alembic pre about $400-500 used

Good luck!

4. You'll get folks who'll say SWR rules, Ampeg sux and SWR is crap, Ampeg rocks, but it's really all up to you. Why do you want to change? What sounds best to you and is it worth it?

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Yet another SWR vs Ampeg thread....sigh. When will people realize it's just a ploy by the MAN to keep us separated and at each other's throats while he replaces bass players with samplers...

Seriously, you should do a search on the topic as these two brands seem to represent opposite poles in terms of tone to a lot of people and they get dissed and cussed a lot.

BTW, if you think SWR cabs are crap, wait till you check out the partcle board beauts that are the Ampeg cabs...

Oh yeah, FWIW, Ampeg sux! :D :bassist: :D :bassist:

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, why? What do you feel the Ampeg gear is going to do for you that the SWR can't? For the price you paid for the SWR, you could have bought a similar Ampeg setup, why didn't you?

7. ken

ken

Nov 12, 2003
    MICHIGAN
    BrianRost.
    I got about $1100 into my SWR rig 5 or 6 years ago and the Ampeg SVT-4pro head is $1300 alone.

Ampeg has tubs (which I like)and SWR solid State.

After hearing everyones replies, sounds to me like no one really knows. And if your play though anything from Harte, Ampeg, Edan, SWR, Peavey, ect ect. your fine. (not Crate of Fender)

8. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I meant for the same $1100 you could have bought something similar from Ampeg: B2R plus 210 and 115 cabs.

So you like tubes, OK.

What do you LACK with your SWR setup today? It's done the job for 5+ years, right?

I'm sure that's the reason you have people asking you "why". No sense wasting money on gear if you don't know what you're looking for :meh:

9. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    my SWR 350x sounds beautiful to me.
    play it by ear, d00d!

10. ken

ken

Nov 12, 2003
    MICHIGAN
    Brianrost,

Yah, The tube.
    I got the SansAmp to copy the tube sound. and I like the sound. I'm fighting the want. I want a real tube amp, or pre amp.

Everyone talks about one amp or cab is better then the next and I really can't hear the diff. except when it comes to tube. Thanks for you input, I think I'll keep using the SWR/SansAmp until I burn it up and need a new one.

Now, Cabnets? I really can't hear the diff in most of the cabnets. My SWR sounds as good as any mid to upper range cabnet, to me. ( I can hear the diff in lower end stuff like Crate, Fender, ect.) But most of the cabnets are press board boxes. If it has a good db rating and a good speaker, to me it's a good cabnet.

11. Ok, nothing really can dublicate he sound of a tube amp, if that's what you want, go for it. If you just want to warm up the sound some more try the Tube Works Blue Tube.

So, you're complaining that we can't read your mind and decide how much something is worth to you? [​IMG]

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've had workingman 10. I've had swr pro wedge 12", I HAVE SWR bass 350 with Tech21 RBI. I now have aguilar gs-112 speakers.

If you like your sound, IF YOU LIKE YOUR SOUND, *****I-F--Y-O-U--L-I-K-E--Y-O-U-R--S-O-U-N-D***** don't change, if you don't like your sound figure out where the 'itch' is and scratch (purchase) something more in the direction you think you want to go...SEE THE RULES BELOW

I like the RBI (rack sansamp) I was playing with people who also said "wow, your workingman combo is AWESOME!" I knew I'd want something better, but I only upgraded when necessary. when the combo with extention 10" was not loud enough I got the bass 350 and a pro 12" wedge, then that was not loud enough so I bought another 12". Then I got gas for a different sound and was buying pedals etc, then I got and fell in love with my RBI. my wedges didn't work well at my new church gig so I bought some other speakers (brand name deleted) and finally settled on the GS-112's. I USUALLY buy when necessary, because I don't like to waste cash either, but if I were you I'd at least HANG ON TO YOUR SANSAMP!!!! AND FOLLOW THE RULES.... ;)

13. ken

ken

Nov 12, 2003
    MICHIGAN
    Joe_Atlanta,
    Great info and a good kick in the pants. Both well needed. Thank you! I'll look up the Tube Works Blue Tube. I'm thinking it's along the same lines as the SansAmp?

Mcrelly,
    Also good info, thanks! Your telling me what I wanted to hear. I have the SansAmp (pedal style) is the rack mount different in any way or the exact same rig in the rack style? I mean does it work as a DI and a preamp with same results?

14. Somewhat. No DI or mix, and instead of an emulation circuit it has an actual preamp tube along with 3 bands of eq.
    Tube works pedals

My SWR S220 is going into the shop for a well earned refurbishing and I've been playing around with some inexpensive tube driven preamps to use with my Fishman Pro Bass EQ/DI. The Blue Tube generally gets high marks both in the TalkBass effects forum and other player review sites. I snagged one on EBAY the other day and it's on the way now.

I'm also trying an ART Tube mic pre and ART Tube EQ. The mic pre (MP) has a nice warmth to it, maybe from "voicing" (built in eq) or maybe from the type of tube and how they use it. The Tube EQ is less warm, similiar to the S220 without the top end sparkle. I got both of these used for under $60 each. Note that there has been reports of the cheaper ART products being noisy (mine are not), so be sure to check if you are buying used.

15. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ken,

I've done gigs with the SVT-4 and it sounds like just another high wattage solid state amp to me. If you really want "tube sound", the SansAmp works about as well as ANY tube preamp will.

What most people call "tube sound" is just a lot of midrange with some compression and mild distortion. A lot of the cheap "tube" gear you see especially for recording use deliberately colors the signal to make it sound "tubey". Properly designed tube and solid state circuits sound alike, actually. While some people claim that real good tube circuits sound more detailed than solid state, they are not talking about dimed SVTs!!!!

You might want to consider a lower wattage tube head (50 to 100 watts like a Bassman or Ampeg V4) driving only your 2-10 cab, slaved to the 4004 head driving the 15. You can get used Bassmans for $2-300, about what you'd pay for a tube preamp.

16. I love Ampeg heads/preamps, but I'd take SWR cabs over Ampeg any day. Why not mix and match?

For what it's worth, the Sansamp can't touch my Ampgeg SVP-Pro pre IMO. I'd think a trip to your local music store to check out some real tube preamps would be worth your time, then you could run them into the 4004 if you want. Of course, it's going to be all about personal preference, so in the end it's your call.

17. :eek:
    Man, that's a wild, great idea! Considering that much of the "character" of the tube sound comes from the mids and you need less power to get them loud. Just roll off a bit of the lows on the Bassman. And you would have seperate volume controls to balance the the sound. Hmmm....

18. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    ...and twice as much gear to carry....hmmm....

19. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ihixulu,

only 33% more gear actually...he's already carrying a head and two cabs, I was just suggesting adding a second head.

20. ken

ken

Nov 12, 2003
    MICHIGAN
    Your all a bit mad you know! But in some way I feel like I'm home..

I'm Keeping the Sansamp and the SWR rig. If I add a cab it will be a SWR 410 workingman. When I replace my 4004 I may look at a Sansamp (or another good preamp) rack mount with a solid state power amp. About 800-1000 watts bridged should do the trick.
    Then I'll rack it, plug it and Rock it. I'll be the loudest Bluegrass bass player out there!:bassist: