Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR vs Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blumusician, Nov 12, 2005.

1. blumusician

blumusician

Nov 12, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

I've been using SWR gear since the early 90's. I have an original Redhead, and an SM900 with an old rear ported Goliath 4X10 and Big Ben cabs. Most recently, I've been playing through a Black Beauty (the last three years through nothing else). I've always thought my bass guitar tone lacked character.

My axe is a 1993 Custom Shop Jazz Bass which has an extremely complex and interesting tone but lacks a strong fundimental. I've solved the lack of low end problem by using a Sadowsky preamp. That gives it the umph it needs.

Overall, I've been happy with the tone out of my Black Beauty especially with my upright which I play more often than my Fender. The 15" driver gives the upright a warm tone that I like. I use the old Goliath 410 as an extension cab when it's called for.

Recently, I played a gig out of town where the band used a rented backline. Usually, they have a Hartke stack at these things which does the job, but that's about all. To my surprise this time, there was an Eden WT800 and D610 cab waiting on stage when I arrived for the soundcheck. I thought to myself "great" because I had alway been impressed with the sound of Eden gear when I heard other poeple play through it.

I couldn't believe how good my Fender through the Sadowsky pre sounded with this rig. Our frontman even commented on how good he thought it sounded. It was without a doubt the best sound I've ever gotten out of an electric bass.

I'd go out and buy this set up today if it were'nt for two things. 1) The size. I prefer a combo for its covenience, and would would rarely need the kind of headroom this gear had. 2) How does Eden gear sound through an upright?

Does the Metro 2X10 combo have the same tonal character as the separates? I could use my 18 as an extension speaker at larger gigs. Do any of you out think that would work well with an upright? I've never heard of anyone using an 18 with an upright, and since the Black Beauty has a 15, I've never tried it myself. Would the old Goliath work we'll as an extention speaker, or would I be happier getting an Eden 210 or 410?

I guess the obvious answer to these questions is to get out there and try the stuff. Frankly I'm tired of spending money on gear. I haven't bought anything new in a long time and didn't think I would be any time soon. In fact, I'm selling most of my gear off since I've settled on what I think works best for me.

My recent experience with Eden equipment has made me stop and think that maybe I could sound better than I do now at every gig. Any feedback based on practical experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    SWR is good gear. I used it for many years.

I now use Eden. I like the sound better these days.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i find the difference between the swr and eden preamps to be the most noticeable difference. both are direct or indirect Russ Allee designs, but the eden is a lot "warmer" sounding.

The metro does sound pretty much just like an eden amp with a 210XLT. It is a heavy sucker though, although i belive your redhead is about in the same ballpark.

I would give an eden head thru your existing SWR 410 a try. I found that to be a great combination for years.

FWIW, i also dig the SWR tone as well, they're just different.

4. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Agreed with IvanMike; I honestly can't tell the difference between the speakers insofaras a live setting. However, the Eden tube-preamps really go for that over-the-top tube-ness. Some like it, some don't.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't buy a whole new rig. The WT800 is a great amp but between the SM-900 and the Sadowsky pre you've already got everything you need. I'd like to respectfully disagree with the others and suggest that you are best served by dumping the SWR cabs and getting something different.

I run my SM-900 with a Bergantino NV610 and love the sound. A friend of mine who is a longtime URB player runs his through a Mesa Basis M2k and a Bergantino HT322, which also sounds quite good. A lot of people here use the Bergantino HT112/EX112 mini-stack and like it a lot.

There are also a lot of really good cabs out there from Accugroove, Epifani, Eden, Schroeder, and so on that you really ought to check out if you have a chance.