Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR vs. Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut, Feb 20, 2003.

1. I am in the market for a new head. I run a 8 ohm 2X10 and a 8 ohm 1X15 sometimes both at the same time for 4 ohms total and sometimes only one for 8 ohms total. I figure most head will pull that off.

I currently see a good deal on a SWR SM-500 ($599), and a eden WT-400 ($649). any opinions on those or another amp in that price range. I am looking used I figure I can get the most for my money that way. thanks.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    They're both good amps, but I would consider the SWR because it can be bridged to run more power @ 8 ohms.

3. I was thinking about that. anyone know what the eden runs at 8 ohms?

4. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I think it's about 220 watts.

5. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    If you're looking used, also look for a SWR SM-400S. Basically the same as the SM-500. Saw one on eBay a few days ago in excellent cond that went for $415.

6. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    I think you should consult Munji on this matter.;)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Have you gotten a chance to play through both of them? If you can get to a Guitar Center you might be able to try both heads out depending on their stock.

I like my SM-500 a lot. It's a great amp and one cool thing is that there's not near as much variance in wattage between 4 and 8ohm usage. Puts out 400watts bridged at 8 ohms and 500 watts bridged at 4 ohms. The Eden has the advantage of size though. I tried out both of these amps before I bought and preferred the sound of the SM-500 slightly. I felt like when run flat it was a little less midrangey but still punchy and with a little less presence. Also, you can replace the preamp tube in the SWR with a vintage 5751 and (from my experience) it will slightly round out the tone a bit. I've heard that with Eden's it really doesn't matter what tube you put in 'em...it doesn't affect the sound. A lot of my choice came down to the fact that I just like the sound and feel of SWR's pro series heads.

brad cook

8. I had an SWR SM400S and could never get a fat, warm sound out of it. I sold it and got another one in the hopes that the first head was not quite right, but the second one was the same. Too sterile, and needed lots of EQing. Now I have an Eden WT400 and it's PERFECT! Leave all the EQ dead flat and it's fat, warm ,punchy and clear.
    BTW, I've also had GK, Boogie, Trace, Peavey, and Walter Woods (yeah, I know, I never shoulda sold it) and the Eden beats all except the WW.