Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR vs GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosmute, May 6, 2002.

1. swr 750

63 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. GK 800RB

38 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    bassically i just wan't to hear people's opinions.
    should i go with the GK 800RB or an SWR 750?

2. The SWR is way more powerful... 800rb is in the range of the swr 350..

3. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    uhm... i've got a 4-10 500 watt, 8Ohms cab and another 1-15 300 watt, 8Ohms cab.
    i don't know if that makes a difference or not, i'm just making sure i could technically go with either one.

would i run the risk of "clipping" or whatever with the 800?

i don't know very much on the subject so help would be appreciated........

4. Its ok. The 800rb is not 800 watts... It is 300 watts with another channel of 100 watts. This is good to split the highs and the lows so you can control them independantly. The 750 has about 750 watts though so it may be too powerful for your cabs.

5. :) Actually, the SWR 750 is 750 watts into 4 ohms (which is what your two cabs in parallel work out to), which means 375 watts per cab. So you should be OK for the 4-10, but should replace the 15 with a higher power unit, (if the cab power ratings are accurate and all RMS). OR try the SWR 350 (350 watts at 4 ohms, or 175 per CAB) - it kicks the GK 800RB, IMO.

:D And I agree that the SWR 750 is a good choice - I love the warmth of SWR tube pre-amps. ( I myself have the SWR 350 and play it through an 8 ohm 4-10 SWR Goliath III, and am lovin it!) I tested the GK 800RB and found it a little cold sounding and lower volume at 100% than expected (not in bi-amp mode) - although it has a good dynamic range.

Good luck in your choice.

Bob

6. I played both and prefer the SWR...warmer.

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The 800RB is a very loud amp. It will easily compete with the SWR 750, IMO.

8. shawnc

shawnc

Apr 16, 2002
    California
    I've had a 800RB since 1984. This has to be the best bi-amp around. The 300W is perfect for a single 18" at 4ohms and the 100W is sweet on a set of 10" s at 8ohms. The GK has been a reliable work horse. If power is what you need, check out their larger amps.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned and used an 800RB for a while a few years back. I currently own a Bass 750. No comparison, the GK is not in the same class with the 750 based on power, clarity and versatility.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you want the biamp wich you probally do since you have a 410 and a 15 go with the 1001rb (i think that is what it is) it is the same price with more power.
    and since you need to replace the 15 i have a 600watt cabable 15 it is a carvin. (i think it is the cabs with carvin not the speakers that sound bad)
    it really does sound good. i sold the cab empty and the speaker is lieing in its original box.
    i payed $120
    it is not even 2 months old
    best offer

11. I would go with the SWR Bass 750. I really like the sound of the SWRs. I also wouldn't worry too much about the extra watts on the 15. The thing to note is that not enough power is more dangerous than too much power. If you have too much power, you should have more headroom when running the cabs at a given wattage. This means less distortion which is most punishing to speakers. So long as you don't run the amp full out you shouldn't have to worry about the 15. I am not even sure if running the amp full out would be more damaging to the 15 or the 410, as the amp may start clipping and distorting.

Geoff

12. I am a GK fan and based on those 2 even I'd vote SWR.

13. Basslord1124

Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    Strange, I hear you all talk about how warm SWR's are and I don't find em to be that warm. I owned a WM 15 which of course I know does not have the tube preamp but I played through the Silverado combo and to me it still lacked warmth (hopefully it has the tube preamp as I thought all SWR pro gear has tube preamps). Maybe it's EQ settings or something where I'm not capturing the warmth that you guys are experiencing. Or it could very well be just differences in opinion in the sound.

14. 100% of the warmth comes from the tube pre-amp. I know the Silverado Special (Upgraded) has the 12AX7 based preamp, but I don't know about the other Silverado models.

The "warmth" comes from the nature of tubes, which in amplification mode can add certain harmonics to the fundamental frequencies of the amplified notes which are "warm" to the human ear. (These harmonics were filtered out in old tube-based hi-fidelity stereos, but not in musical instrument amplifiers). Solid-state amps are more "pure" in the way they amplify sound, without the same discernable harmonic distortion; but this tends to sound "colder" to the human ear. IMHO. :)

15. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Gotta vote for the SWR. Warmer, softer and more tonal variations.

16. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a GK1001RB and like it much better than the rental 800s that I've used. Quite a bit more powerful, better tone at the deep end. Small and light, too.

17. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    g/k great if you get one that works..if it needs repair throw it away..thay never work right after that..and youll be out 250.00..

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think both companies have seen better days:D

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    SWR warmer, more reliable, better customer support.

GK cold sounding, Richard Krueger was very patronizing and not helpful after I bought an amp of his that didn't work right out of the box, had it in service for six months, and got it back more screwed up than before.

20. Joecamel

Joecamel

Jun 10, 2002
    saint james ny
    swr