SWR WM 10/12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, Jan 12, 2006.

1. With Musicians friend blowing out the Workingmans series, do you think it would be worth it to pick up one of these combos? It would just be for taking to friends houses to practice new songs, or maybe real quiet gigs, like coffeehouse type stuff. Keep in mind I use a 5 string. They seem like a fair price for a brand new small combo.

BTW the 10 is 249 and the 12 is 299.

2. snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    I have the WM 10 which I got from MF about 3 months ago (for not too much more than $249, which is a great price). Overall it's not too bad for a practice/very small venue amp. Wanted a portable cube amp, and I am satisfied. I do not play a 5 string (yet) so I can't comment on how well it handles the low B.
    Serves well as a guitar amp also.
    Several people here at TB rave about the WM 12. If small size is not your top priority it is probably the better choice, especially with a 5 string.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Looking at your gear list, I'd go with a WM12 so you can use your other 12 as an extension if you want. They are both nice amps.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use to own a wm10 with an extension 10. that was early in my gear adventures. I feel I've moved up from that tone, but the wm12 still sounds pretty good to me. although it is 50 LBS and the 10 is 32 LBS. I don't know if it would take a 5 string at high volumes.
  5. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    The 12 can get pretty loud and has a nice little punch to it. It clips too soon though. And not enough low end. Go for the 15. It has much better tone and a larger bottom.
  6. I dont need anything to replace my rig I have now, I just want something small and portable, not expensive, and doesnt sound like crap. It needs to be able to handle a low B decently at volumes to be able to keep up with an acoustic guitar and maybe a Cajon. In your (anyones) experience, does it sound like a WM 10 would be able to handle that?

Thank you
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SWR reportedly sold 20,000 of these combos. Tells you something I guess.
  8. Thats true. Anyone else?
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I bought an unused demo WM12 at a GC list sale for $249... Personally, I prefer the sound of the WM12 to the WM15. I haven't played out with it, but I'm enjoying it a lot...

Most used WM12s in the store are over $300...

Beware if you order a cover for the WM12 from MF...I did for my new style WM12 (amp section covering the whole top) and they sent me a cover for an old style one (amp starting half way back)... When it didn't fit, they didn't want to pay for return shipping on it because it wasn't shown as a "recommended accessory"...even though the WM12 page had a link for the cover.

Eventually they did agree to pay for return shipping.
  10. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I own a WM12, and use it for exactly the same thing you want it for. Works perfect.
  11. How heavy are they? Easily carried around with one hand? I played one way back in middle school and remember liking the sound, but I never moved it or anything, it was the amp they had at my school.

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Depends on how strong you are.

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 135. Fit but not a big guy. Carrying the 12 takes two hands for me.
  13. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

i was very underwhelmed by the WM 10 i tried at GC. i was actually a little embarrassed for them for it's sound quality and low end (lack) of extention.

As to your question- I guess it qualifies as small, and its not too heavy (though heavier than the little sucker COULD be) so you covered 2 bases. As far as not sounding like crap, i think you are outa luck, but thats my opinion. I ran a 4 string through it and was not impressed with the low E at all. I imagine a low B would be far worse. My scoring woudl be 2 out of 4.

i didnt try a WM12, and i read some good reviews. IMO wm10 is wasted money.

again, just my opinion
  14. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

musiciansfriend says they are 50 LBS, sound about right.
  15. Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Jul 8, 2005
    I own a WM12 myself and it's served me quite well. I bought it over a year ago from MF for 500 bucks after playing one in a rehersal space and falling in love with it. That's way more than they're charging now though :crying:. Anyway, I use an MIM P and a Spector and the sound is great for the most part. People are right about it not have a whole lot of bottom end but it's fine for club gigs. If you have a halfway decent sound guy you shouldn't have any problem getting a good tone live. I recently got a Spector legend and I feel that this amp really shines when it comes to hi-fi sounding basses. I had alot less trouble getting the sound I wanted from my Spector than I did with the MIM P, although the actual basses themselves may be factor in that problem.

Now my one big complaint. If you don't own a car or have a bandmember that can help you carry this you're going to have alot of trouble gigging. I live in NYC and no one in my band has a car so I'm forced to lug this thing on the subway on a luggage cart. Carrying this thing up and down stairs is a real pain and the little cheap rubber handle on top has started to tear. I'm guessing it's going to break soon and I hope it won't when I'm carrying it up a flight of stairs. And yes, for those who like to plug in a guitar and bang out Kiss riffs once and while this thing also works nicely :D .