Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WM 4004 vs Ampeg B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Oct 2, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If both heads cost exactly the same, which would you rather have? The SWR has 400W vs. the Ampeg's 350W. Anybody A/B'ed them both?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. At a GC. Used a WM 4x10 and also an Ampeg 4x10 on both heads. For my ears the B2R had a full round sound. I just wanted to rock and roll all night, and party every day ... No kidding - a really nice sounding head! Through either cab, but the Ampeg cab was the better sounding of the two cabs regardless. In comparison, the SWR sounded ... uninteresting, like nothing special, had no character.

I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger onthe Ampeg when my current Hartke 3500 fell into place. I like the Hartke, I think I'd like the Ampeg better. Tonally it's more 'classic' sounding to my ear.

Ampeg has just a boat-load of 4x10 these days. This one was the 'half of an SVT 8x10' variety. I believe there was no horn / tweeter. Not a bad sounding cab.