SWR WM 8X10's on tour with Smash Mouth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I saw Paul De Lisle with Smash Mouth live on the tube playing thru two SWR Workingman 8X10 cabs. Couldn't make out what amp(s) he was using. I thought this interesting since most of the posts I see here are negative on the WM series, and I do not see him promoting them on the SWR Website. I would think that he could certainly afford Megoliaths. Any comments on WM cabs in general from TB WM fans and detractors?
  2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oops..did see his pic on SWR website :oops:

(note to self...check more carefully next time before making pronouncements)

Question still remains tho...why workingman instead of megoliath? If they are so inferior, why use them on a major tour?
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Yeah he probably got paid to promote them or something. But I still think the WM cabs are great.
  4. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    maybe he preferred the WM over the Professional series?

i used to have a WM combo.. i absolutely love(d) the sound i got out of it. i havent tried the cabs yet.. but if they sound anything like the combo.. i dont know that i might not think twice about using the WM. of course.. with them waving money in your face.. meh.

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've been pondering the 93 db sensitivity rating on the WM 8x10... while I know the published sensitivity doesn't always indicate how loud the cab is, 93 is just awful. That would make it a bit less efficient than Acme, and less than half as loud as stuff like Eden. You'd think they'd be just plain inadequate for a touring rock band with the kind of fame, venues and audiences that Smash Mouth has. Of course, his could have been custom built or modified in some way. He coulda just taken any old SWR cab and slapped a "workingman" logo on it.

Of course, musicians don't necessarily take their best stuff on tour with them. This gear gets knocked around a lot and can always be stolen.