Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR WM12 needs an extension cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by velocraig, Feb 4, 2004.

1. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Anyone out there use a WM12 with an extension cab other than the SWR Monitor 12 or a 1x10T? If so, will you please share what cabs you have found to be best balanced with the WM12 as far as tone as well as amp and/or driver efficiency.
    TIA,
    Craig

FWIW...I currently have a Carvin 1x10 (no tweeter) that just seems to fart out with it...hence my inquiry :help:

2. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I can't claim to have tried a lot of other options, but I use a GS 112 with the WM 12 and it sounds huge (in a good way).

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The point at which my WM12 was not quite up to the job was the point when I took it up the Bass Centre in London and part exchanged it for my present Ashdown rig. I did try a few extension cabs with it but decided in the end to replace the lot.

What's prompting you to add an extension cab? I've found a lot of situations where I've ended up relying on whatever was provided at the venue I was playing because carting a head and cab around is more awkward than a small combo but there have been enough situations where I did need more oomph than an extension cab could have given me through the WM12, so I don't regret the decision too much (although it was a great little combo).

Wulf

4. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Wulf....same as over at churchbass.com?

My only regular gig anymore is at my church...big room (1000 seat) where I run through the house...no need for a big rig with the in ear monitors and v-drums. Occasionally our P&W band plays at smaller rooms for conferences, etc. and we use individual amps and acoustic drums for this situation. Our drummer isn't heavy handed and the lead guy is tasteful (not super loud) and my WM12 just can't quite keep up, even with the Carvin 1x10. I tried a Avatar 1x12 and it was noticably more efficient (percieved to move more air).
    I also have a small head I can use with the ext. cab individually for other situations if need be.
    I have no desire to own a bigger rig anymore...my old Bassman 100 head and 2x15 cab cured me of that years ago :D
    Those are my thoughts.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yep - that's me :)

Okay - I can see that going much bigger isn't going to necessarily be much better in your situation. From the sound of it, you're looking to have enough volume for the whole room, so just repositioning the WM12 isn't going to be the answer either.

When I went shopping and ended up swapping my WM12, I'd recently had a play with a GK microbass combo, where adding the matching extension cab made a massive perceptible difference to the volume and quality of the sound. However, despite trying a range of cabs, I didn't find anything that extended my WM12 in such a satisfactory way.

What I do now is save my Ashdown rig for the gigs where I need good volume (like playing jazz / soul / funk to 100+ party goers in a marquee) and just take my Sansamp pedal up to church, where I'm actually using the first ever amp I bought about fifteen years ago. That's a Peavey TKO-75, which sounds surprisingly good with the SABDDI helping it out!

I hope you find something that fits your needs (although I'm also hoping this doesn't make me regret selling the WM12 - it was great having an amp with a built in ledge to perch on at the front :D )

Wulf