SWR Working Mans 10 issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Wondering if someone can help me out. I use my WM10 for jazz gigs. Usually we record these gigs. Well, something weird has been happening lately. We we record, into the board using the XLR out, the bass channel is totally overdriven. So, I though of using the effects out to see if that works.. Still, horrible over drive.

So, I tried a different amp.. No problems at all. What could be the problem?? It sounds find coming out of the speaker. Its just the outputs they are distorting.
  2. If you're going into an XLR in on the board, make sure that the trim for that input on the board is set to minimum gain. It sounds like you might be putting a line-level output (XLR from SWR-10) into an XLR input which has the trim set high (as it might need to be if you were using a low-level source (e.g. a microphone)).

Hope this helps -

- Wil
  3. SWR's are known for sending a very hot signal. On the board, start with the gain settings cut way back and make sure the switch is set to 'instrument' not 'mic', also take advantage of any pad settings such as -10db.

Make sure the phantom power is off too. I know that SWR says it will damage their units.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I *think* with the WM10, your gain settings for going thru the speaker live will be too hot for the XLR outs if used concurrently. Try the XLR outs just through the board with a lower gain setting on the WM10, ignoring the speaker's level, and see if it still distorts. If it still distorts, you have a problem that needs repaired. If it sounds fine, its just too high of gain when set for live speaker levels.