1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

swr working pro 400 experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paris5, Aug 17, 2007.

1. paris5

paris5

Aug 6, 2007
    budding bassist (coverted guitarist)
    i'm looking at the working pro 400 as my first bass head. does anyone have any experience with the 400?

cheers.

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I had seriously considered this head, or the 700, about 18 months ago. I decided on a preamp-power amp setup, but I did try those two heads a lot. Very nice voice, quite clean, and rather powerful. The ''deep'' switch (Can't remember it's swr name), is also nice when you play soft to medium volume levels. It really makes you sound present and rich, but it's a bit much at higher levels, both tonewise, and demanding too much out of most speakers. It is nice, and you won't regret it, but for me, Genz Benz and Mesa are more versatile, but also more expensive. Good luck.

3. animul

animul

Aug 17, 2007
    Metro-West Ma
    I tried the working man series a few times and was kinda disappointed. . .I've also heard horror stories. I do love SWR so I went with the 550X head and it has definetly served me well. If I were you, I would go with the 350X, it sounds good, it's affordable and it should be enough power and sound for your first amp head!
    -Joey-

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I LOVE my SWR WorkingPro 400! It has great features on it as well as having an incredible sound. The footswitch has a mute button that kills the direct out and sends your signal directly to the tuner. So if you switch basses on stage you won't get that popping sound through the main speakers. It also has a great EQ section and the "bass intensifier" control which boosts the lows without pushing your speakers to the limit. There is an on/off switch for that on the footpedal as well. I put the SWR through an Ampeg 4x10 HLF cabinet which is rated at 400 watts so my amp is PLENTY loud while remaining clean and crisp.
    IMO it's the best amp I've ever played through and I've played through quite a few. It reminds me a little of the Markbass amp I tried out a few times. In fact I chose the SWR over a Markbass and a Gallien-Krueger.
    mygear.